Bore/Hone Advice- Questionable Shop Measurement

MadeThatMyself

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just got back from visiting a highly recommended local engine machine shop where I was hoping to get some advice on what size pistons and rings I should purchase. When I got there the owner of the shop flipped the jugs upside down, measured the bottom with a pair of calipers and said "Still in spec- the 0.25mm over should clean this up fine."

I could have done that in my garage, so I was a little disappointed. Maybe he has been doing this for so long that he knew just from the one measurement? Should I be concerned that he didn't investigate the wear at the top/middle of the jugs? Should I go get a second opinion somewhere else? He definitely owns a capable shop, I was just hoping to walk away feeling confident in my shop choice and piston sizing....

On top of that, MikesXS is currently out of stock on the 0.25mm over pistons. Is there any disadvantage to ordering the 0.5mm over for the sake of being able to get it quicker?

You need to know the wear at the wear pattern of the cylinder. The bottom won't show much if any wear. The top is what gets the wear. Out of round and taper is good to know too.
Once you know all those measurement, Then you order pistons and rings the next size over that.
He may have enough experience to see that kind of wear. If so he, Why measure?
I might get a second opinion.
Leo

I always check cylinders at the top and middle. I don't think the piston even reaches the bottom so there won't be any wear down there to speak of. Most of us are getting our pistons now from this eBay seller, much cheaper than Mike's and there haven't been any complaints yet. What you save on the cost of the pistons should pay for the bore job .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS6...383746?hash=item1eb936a002:g:LuoAAMXQxVZRC3T6

Unfortunately, this seller doesn't offer the 1st oversize (.25) so you have no choice but to go with the 2nd oversize, but that's no big deal.

On top of that, MikesXS is currently out
Pistons and rings from Mikes is gonna be somewhere north of 200 bucks. Cruzinimage has the same .5 over set for around 100 bucks shipped. I don't know of anyone who has had bad luck with em.
...and yeah, just measuring the bottom where very little wear occurs ain't the way to check 'em. I'd be lookin' for a second opinion.

Wow. Thanks for the pistons and rings heads up. That's a huge savings.

Going to get a second opinion now. Maybe I'll be a little more forward with my expectations this time...

What are you guys using to measure your own bores?

Second shop said they didnt have time to measure them right away... doesn't seem like it would take long.

I have a set of snap gauges that I then check with a mic.

The cruzinimage pistons are great for the price. I got the 2nd over and they were within .1g of each other and basically the same once I matched the pins to a piston.

Shop I use measures top, middle and bottom. When I picked up my cylinder that I just had bored he mentioned that he had bored and honed it the day before. When he came in the next day he rechecked it. The bottom had tightened up a bit. He then finished honing it. The bottom since it extends out of the fining doesn't expand and contract like the rest of the liner. I would ask who ever you use how they measure things.

Last edited:
Back