Bought my first XS650 any help would be great?

menkenmadness

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So here is the deal. My name is Aaron and I am brand new to this site.
I bought this 1972 XS650 last night and got online to find some information before I started into the project. Stumbled upon this site and thought I would see what the folks on this site had for advice. I am a noob with motorcycles and this will be my first project. I am REALLY wanting to learn how to work on my own bike and I am totally up for the challenges it throws at me.

To start out I will just post some pictures and I would like some advice as to where I should start and the order in which I should go about fixing her up. Like I said I just bought her last night and have not done anything but take pictures.

I bought it from a guy that was kinda the middle man. All he knows about the bike is there were two owners and the guy he bought it from said it last ran in 2006 and then started having some problems with it. He gave up and bought a Harley, lol. Carbs came with it in a box, but I am not sure if they are from this bike? And I am not sure if they are all there.

Any help to get started on this bike would be awesome! I have not decided yet what I want to end bike to look like but for I just want to get it running strong and go from there.

Thanks ahead of time:D

I have added a link so that you can see the pictures at full size. I am not sure how to post larger images on this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronboy384/sets/72157624197450044/with/4666609695/

There's some great checklists out there for the "I just bought an XS, now what?"

Check the tech section here and I think there is another list on mikesxs.net.
I too just bought one about 2 weeks ago that pretty much needs everything gone through.

I'm aiming for next season here in Vancouver (Aprilish) and it looks pretty doable, these bikes are pretty simple overall, and seem to be pretty durable, minus a few weak points :)

The traditional procedure is to tear the bike apart, realize you didn't take any pics, don't have a manual, tools, workspace or knowledge. Then, you must let the bike sit for years in vaguely labeled boxes like "Yam X Fr Stuff" and "From eng I think or trans - does it have a trans?".

Finally, some ten years later, you must die so your relatives can sell it to guys like me for "whatever its worth", usually $50. You can shorten this process and save yourself the dirty fingernails by simply selling it to me now for $50. I await your reply.

$125 and promise of a thoughtful loving home with your name engraved on the fender.
I'm closer too.

OK, you have your parts bike, now look for a runner '72 and a manual and you'll have it made in the shade. Seriously, you'll have it made in the shade. Sorta how I got rolling with my '83.

Damn you midwestern guys! This is how I get my good bikes! But anyway, the bike looks wicked clean. Gotta start with the basics. Compression, spark and fuel. This makes stuff go boom. The rest is just tuning.

Well, The first thing I would do is get a repair manual. I like the factory manual best. A Haynes or Clymer are about the same. Both have good points, both have bad points.
There are places on the net where you can down load manuals. Biker.net is one. They might not have your exact model year book. Most years are alot alike, a few changes in specs and carb and ignition changes over the years are the biggies.
A basic set of hand tools. End wrenchs, Socket set, screwdrivers, Allen wrenchs.
Your manual will list what you need.
A digital multi-meter is needed for trouble shooting the electrics, and you will be sooner or later. When you purchase a multi-meter DON'T buy an auto-ranging meter, they don't do low resistance readings very well.
You don't need to spend much to get a good meter. I like the one Harbor Freight sells for $7.99, often on sale for $2.99, $1.99 with a coupon.

Wow, that does look to be a pretty clean bike. I can see that you've already gotten a lot of help, but this is what I'd do:

Those look like the carbs that came with the bike so what you need to do is get them on there: the clamps that hold the carbs to the carb holders are still there and I can see the throttle cable is there as well. You appear to be missing the bowl screw on the bottom of your right carb and a plastic cap for whatever that hole is...

You'll need to get some carb cleaner and thoroughly clean the carbs with a small stiff brush; don't just soak them in a dish of cleaner as it will erode/deform rubber gaskets. Make sure you don't leave any brush bristles in there.

Were there any loose parts in that box the carbs came in? Air boxes perhaps, left points cover, the carb bowl screw?

Once you get the carbs squared away, you will need air filters. It would be best to buy some stock airboxes off of eBay. If not you can get pod filters (and everything else) at http://www.mikesxs.net/, but if you go that route, you'll need to rejet and that's a whole new can of worms you've opened.

Get the carbs on and throttle connected (and cable lubed), change the oil (or at least check to see if it looks ok), put a battery on it, see if it sparks, gas it up, go for a ride!

Don't forget to get a seat.

-jonathan

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for all the input so far guys! I am really excited about this project. I am planing on getting into it this weekend.

Here are a few things I have done so far since getting it. I pulled both of the plugs and they seem really clean. Checked the oil and it as well seems really fresh and not dark at all.

Started taking the carbs apart last night and cleaning them. One had a lot more varnish build up then the other. But nothing broken or torn and the gaskets and rubber are in solid condition. I tried to keep the carb cleaner off the rubber and used a silicon spray to clean the rubber diaphragms.

I will for sure post an update when I finish putting them back together and get them on the bike.

Thanks again for all the help:thumbsup:

Back