Bought my first xs650! Few questions I have

drsmith

RatRider
Reaction score
Just got this bike as a basket case for 2,000, came with tons of stock parts extra set of rims and wheels, all that good stuff.
I have encountered a problem though.
It's a 1974 and it didn't come with a wiring harness or ignition system. So I got no key or anything.

What steps am I going to have to take to get this thing running?
I've been lurking HARD on the forums reading about pamco (and e-advance which I have no idea what that is) and HHB systems.
Do I really only need an ignition system, charging system, and then i'll be good to go?

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

2w2mown.jpg

25f3srq.jpg

w2n12.jpg

91803_zpsy9xyt0qg.jpg

This is the wiring diagram I used, super basic. My bike is kick start capacitor only, no frills. I have a PMA from hughs, basic pamco, led lights throughout.

Doesn't look like a bad deal, my chopper project cost me $1000 but the frame was hacked and motor is trash. Yours looks nice and we'll done.

As for the wiring just take your time, it's not hard just tedious. Follow a diagram and keep it saved for trouble shooting if needed.

Ah man, well I wish you luck with your build.

I've got a thousand and one diagrams saved and forums bookmarked. Now time to just save up the money for the wiring stuff. A bit pricey.

Take your time, buy good quality wire and connectors do it once and do it right. Good luck with your build looks like a good start. Hit me up if you need any other help.

I think you probably have an ignition and charging system, or at least parts of them. I see the points wire hanging out from that little cover on the top left side of the motor. You'd just need to add condensers and coils. And the alternator is probably under that lower left cover. You would need to add a rectifier and regulator.

Ideally, yes, add the missing parts I mentioned and you should have a working ignition and charging system. Look through all the extra parts you're getting as many of the missing items may be there.

If the stuff really is missing then you have some decisions to make. The stock coils won't work with a Pamco so if they're missing and you plan on using the Pamco, no sense buying any. The Pamco requires a single coil with dual outputs (2 plug wires), not two separate individual coils like the stock system. The PMA uses a different type regulator than the stock system so no sense buying a stock type if you plan a PMA swap.

Back