Boyer Bransden MicroPower vs original wirings on 1977 1U3

Deukje

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am installing a Boyer Bransden MicroPower on my 1977 XS650.
Following this : http://www.650motorcycles.com/BoyerMicroPower.html

Meanwhile I ran into the following issues :banghead::
1) between the top engine supports, there is some device that looks to me like a condensor that was in parallel to the ignition points. Can that be permanently disconnected now ? (ignition points now gone and replaced by magnetic pickup unit)

2) After removing both original coils, I am still left with 2 orange wires (1 with dual female bullet connector and 1 with male bullet connector), going into the central harness.
3) Same for 2 gray wires (1 with dual female bullet connector and 1 with male bullet connector) going into the central harness.
4) At the same point in the central harness, there are coming out a short white-black and a short black wire.

Has anyone a clue as to where the wires mentioned in (2), (3) and (4) might be leading to ? In the electrical wiring diagrams I cannot find any corresponding connection... There is only a line for the red-white wire (power supply original coils) towards the stop switch, safety relay and brake lining indicator.

Grey and Orange wires are from the points.

This might help you for standard wiring set up using stock parts.
xs650allyears.jpg

boyer /pma set up.
XS650_batteryless_wiring-diagram.jpg

Scrapper,

Thanks a lot for the diagram you added !
In the mean time, I figured out the following (referring to my original posting):
1) The black device in between the top engine studs is a dual condensor as I thought. Now I have just disconnected it, and put the bullet connectors together into an isolation tube, and hidden them somewhere away out of sight. Removing would mean to remove a couple of the engine support bolts...
2) The 2 orange wires were actually one and the same. They were taped into the fork of the cable harness. I cut of the bullet connector, and pulled the wire through.
3) Same for the gray wires.
4) The white-black and the black wires (appearing at the area) will remain a mystery for a while :wink2:

Scrapper,

Thanks a lot for the diagram you added !
In the mean time, I figured out the following (referring to my original posting):
1) The black device in between the top engine studs is a dual condensor as I thought. Now I have just disconnected it, and put the bullet connectors together into an isolation tube, and hidden them somewhere away out of sight. Removing would mean to remove a couple of the engine support bolts...
2) The 2 orange wires were actually one and the same. They were taped into the fork of the cable harness. I cut of the bullet connector, and pulled the wire through.
3) Same for the gray wires.
4) The white-black and the black wires (appearing at the area) will remain a mystery for a while :wink2:
there is a diode there that uses those wires, part of the brake lining warning circuit

Back