Boyer Bransden newbie auto advance unit question

dwaynemcfarlane

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
0472889F-8E67-4175-A446-691C32A2CF84.jpeg
Hi guys im installing the Boye Bransden Electronic Ignition on my xs 650 77.
The problem is the auto advanced unit. The small weights wont let loose or tighten and allmost have no space to do so. What is the problem? :( ive searched the forum but havent found any answers.

I'm slightly confussed. With BB ignition, you don't need the auto advance mechanism - your spark timing and advance are all taken care of by the electronics. There is nothing at the right-hand end of the timing shaft except the spacer and end nut.

Ok so tighten the nut and attach the weights with the clips and forget about that side?
Well i just wasted a night trying to make it work!

Thx and have a great day!

There will be no weights and clips - just the end of the rod, the double-diameter spacer provided by BB, washer and nut.

The BB fitting instructions (which might be different if your kit is not the same as mine) give a guide to where to have the static timing set at the l/h end with the magnet on the rotor visible through the hole in the back plate but you will need to use a strobe to set it finally. Hope this helps.

Ok so simply discard the weights etc. Thx Raymondo! The instructions i have only have focus on the magnet part. Thats why i got confused. Thx !

Read the BB instructions carefully. Initial sight timing is done with the alternator timing marks at full advance. I can't count the number of times I've seen tales of woe posted by guys who couldn't get their motors started because they did the initial setting at TDC. This should get you close enough to start. As Raymondo says, you then need to finish with a strobe. Be sure the battery is at full charge. If power to the ignition is weak the Boyer electronic advance won't work as it should.

The previous owner installed a Vape generator without any marks and sadly a strobe light is not a possibility :( . But ive changed the piston rings and found tdc. Now i just need btdc etc :)

Strobe light is not a possibility? It certainly is, with any alternator; you need a degree wheel and a piston stop, make your own mark. There's pIenty of how-to available here, just use the little window that says "Search." A VAPE alternator without the VAPE crank fired ignition? Maybe Hooser can straighten this one out.

Back