WastedJamacan

Not Allowed
Reaction score
Laid the bike down on Sunday while riding around the neighborhood testing my clutch adjustment. Low-sided on the brake side, so the brake pedal and brake lever twisted upwards, but not much else in the way of damage. Ordered the brake pedal sold on MikesXS as a replacement, and was surprised to find it doesn't actually fit the 83 Heritage Special. Or at least, it doesn't fit mine; according to the customer service rep it fits loads of other peoples' bikes just fine. Images below.

So the point of this thread: Anyone else have any experience with these pedals? This is my first issue with Mikes, otherwise everything else I've gotten from them worked flawlessly.

The original in its new, contorted form:
IMG_20180701_155621-900x1200.jpg

The New vs the Original (bolts lined up):
IMG_20180706_134748-900x1200.jpg

As is, when lining the pedal up with the footpeg, it runs into the exhaust:
IMG_20180706_134508-1200x900.jpg

IMG_20180706_134515-1200x900.jpg

Also, I can't actuate the brakes-- the lever runs into the exhaust (and would even earlier if it went on all the way:
IMG_20180706_134624-1200x900.jpg

If I line it up properly, it sits very low and still won't slide on all the way:
IMG_20180706_134908-1200x900.jpg

And hell, maybe my bike is the weird one, I don't actually know.

Two pictures from one of my bikes with a OEM (as far as I know) foot pedal.
I would think it needs to sit on the spline in a position where the foot pad is fairly level.
Maybe too much travel on he foot pedal? Not properly adjusted rear barkes?
Not much travel on mine to activate the brake.
All this though on a 1976

Attachments

• IMG_2889.JPG
    IMG_2889.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2890.JPG
    IMG_2890.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2889.JPG
    IMG_2889.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 320
You should be able to straighten your original, they're just mild steel. I've fixed some pretty bad ones. The one on a local guy's bike looked like a freakin' banana with the foot pad portion a good inch or more above the footrest. It was pretty easy to flatten back out and make right. I don't know why he didn't think of it, he drove around for months like that, lol.

Yes, the one they sent you has a much bigger bend in it than any 650 one I've seen. It probably is for some other bike.

The one they sent matches their picture,but it's not XS650, that's for sure. there's really only two styles early, and late early 70-73ish are thinner but neither look like the mikes unit.
s-l1600.jpg

That one kind a looks like an XS750 brake pedal

but the pinch bolt angle isn't quite right either.
If straightening doesn't work I do have used XS650 pedals in stock........none are PERFECT....

If the flat part got bent tilted, stick a piece of board between the lever and the case cover and turn the flat part back with a vice grip.

Be sure to send your photos to customerservice@mikesxs.net. It may be a mis-tag or grabbed accidentally from wrong bin. They will be more than pleased to assist.
Reread the thread techman; your pictures SHOW the wrong brake pedal for an XS650, oddly so does this vendor. https://www.xs650shop.com/collections/brakes-1/products/brake-pedal-rear
I assume someone bought an inventory somewhere? Mikes has been through a lot of hands, not all of them the sharpest pencils, you know? If you are going to be "techman" you are going to have to do a bit of research, or it's just the same old same old. I want mikes to be better, we all do! Your showing up here is a start..... BTW I have ordered and received 3-$4000 of parts from mikes with more orders coming, and am usually quite happy, but I also know what and what NOT to buy at mikes, in part from experiences of others here.

Last edited:
Back