Brembo Caliper w/Motolanna Rotor Spacer

figure8

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Alright two steps foward three back. I never really noticed before but the rotor spacer I'm using for my Brembo and XS performance rotor (which is far less dished than a stock rotor hence the rotor spacer) doesn't center the rotor in the caliper as well as I thought.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460741649.602782.jpg
Now since this is a fixed caliper rather than a stock floating style I'm not happy with this. Now I still have the rotor spacer provided with the bracket kit to fit the the Brembo with a stock rotor. You can see a gap between the hub and the motolanna spacer. My thinking is to use the rotor spacer (4.5mm) behind the motolanna spacer to push the rotor out more.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460742121.133959.jpg
If anybody has any better ideas please say so. I'm not certain it will perfectly center the rotor but hoping it will get it much closer which it should. If the rotor has to be perfectly centered then I'm not sure what I'm gonna. I'm all ears.

Hi,

I have a Brembo and XS Performance rotor too. It works fantastic and saves substantial weight over stock. One of the guys that use to visit here, Joe, helped me to machine a spacer based on my dimensions and the great help form Bjorn in this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197&highlight=brembo+fazer&page=6

Bjorn machined a spacer that was 12.85mm plus the lip to center the wheel. My spacer is 12mm plus the lip as you can see in the attachment which is a markup of Bjorn's drawing. You also want to put the 4.5mm on first and then a spacer with a lip outboard to keep the wheel centered before you tighten it up.

I looked on the site and see that they sell a spacer, "Brake Rotor Spacer 10mm Yamaha SR500 SR400; CNC billet alloy 10mm rotor spacer for the 1978-2000 Yamaha SR500 & SR400."

Is this 10mm total or 10mm plus the lip? The spacer that you want to use is 4.5mm thick so depending on how thick the Motolanna spacer is, you may be able to get the 12 to 12.85 mm that you need. Measure the gap you have, I assume that this gap is due to the Motolanna not being able to sit flush, and the offset you have in your Brembo to center the disk in the slot.

Attachments

• Hub Spacer Dimensions.jpg
    Hub Spacer Dimensions.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Appreciate the reply Glenn, I messed around with this last night. The Motolanna spacer is in fact 10mm plus the lip. I tried doubling up the spacers, but at this point the rotor was brushing against the forks. So I took it all apart and put it back on with just the motolanna spacer. While it's not centered, nothing rubs. I did notice that when I took the wheel off initially I didn't have the crown nut torqued down on the axle. I thought it was but my bikes been on the lift for awhile. Torquing the axle down seems to have helped pull to rotor out more towards center. I haven't made a decision yet. I'm gonna look this over some more, with the 10mm plus the gap between the hub it's really close to 12mm.

Hi figure8 and gary,

Yeah, I figured you would want 12mm maybe 12.5 but that was too close for my comfort.

I would get a 2mm or 2.5mm spacer form the eBay vendor and use it on the inside of your Motolanna. You definitely want the centering ring. Another option would be to contact Motolanna and see if they would make one up at 12 or 12.5mm. There is a market for these and they may be interested. even buying the two spacers is less than what it cost me.

I'm very surprised that there has not been more interest in this disk and caliper combo. The weight benefit that I calculated is over 4lbs and this is unstrung weight! This is huge for front end performance. This front brake is excellent and close to what I have with my Buell.

Glenn

Gary and Glenn, appreciate all the help. I may contact Dan at Pandemonium and see if he has any reduced size spacers available. It's good to knowing got options though, great link Gary! Glenn, if you have one readily available could you post up a pic of your rotor and what it looks like centered wise? Don't go outta your way, just if you happen to have one.

He only had the 4.5mm when I contacted him a couple of years ago but maybe he does now. The eBay offer looks very good but a thicker one from Motolanna would be the best.

Glad to help!

I'm nearly maxed out in that regard Gary. I should've mentioned my rim is a 21" not a 19", I'm using the smaller of the two shims provided and just clearing the spokes. I suppose I could shave more off the backside of the caliper, but I'm paranoid I'd ruin it even though it would probably be fine.

Looks like I'm performing a very slow and check often shave on the caliper, shimming seems to be a cheap fix and I'm certainly all for that right now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460843355.247420.jpg

You also need to fill that gap between the wheel and the Motolanna adapter. It looks like it is sitting on the wheel hub taper.

Easiest solution is to contact the sellers mentioned above, but you could make your own shim plate with some sheet metal, maybe 14 (0.0747"/1.897mm) or 12 (0.1046"/2.657mm) gauge depending on your measurements.

Here are some pics I took when I was doing this mod.

Attachments

• DSCN3206 w comment.jpg
    DSCN3206 w comment.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN3207 w comment.jpg
    DSCN3207 w comment.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCN3208 w comment.jpg
    DSCN3208 w comment.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCN3203 w comment.jpg
    DSCN3203 w comment.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 368
Good detail shots! Should pic 2 say rotor bolt? Hint I bought rotor bolts from an fzr600, they are low profile button heads with a short "shank" that fits the rotor bolt hole ID and use lock-tite from the factory. For length they work well on a stock rotor without a spacer....

THIS is why this place is great! I'll admit I hadn't thought about that fact. Looks like I got work to do....speaking of those I may pick up some new ones today. Are they m10?

Yes Gary! It should say rotor bolt. I also misspelled wheel in one of the pics too. Thanks for liking them!

I'm correct myself, it's m8 coarse thread. And I'm guessing I should bump it from a 30mm to 40mm on account of the spacer, hoping to find them in button head.

Update, switched the hardware to button heads and lock washers over those locking tabs (they were getting very brittle from taking the rotor on and off). Also, I was wrong, the 40mm were to long but the 35mm fit just right. As for the spacer I got some 8mm washers that were 2mm thick to take up the gap space between the hub and spacer. That's my cheap fix for now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461112474.724954.jpg

That's good. I'd be looking to replace those washers in the long term like I said above,

"I would get a 2mm or 2.5mm spacer form the eBay vendor and use it on the inside of your Motolanna. You definitely want the centering ring. Another option would be to contact Motolanna and see if they would make one up at 12 or 12.5mm."

Back