Bringing Dad's '78 out of hibernation

BoogieBot

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll. My pops has a 1978 XS650 Special sitting in his garage. He bought it brand new in '78, rode it 'til about 2004, and then parked it. He keeps the registration current and says he'll get to restoring it "one of these days". He's given me permission to fiddle with it and try to get it running again.

My experience level: novice but not noob. Been doing regular maintenance and light troubleshooting on my 80s Honda scoots for the past 4 years or so - no rebuilds or anything, though. Have access to lots of tools and Dad has the OEM shop manual.

The motor turns when you hit the kickstart, and it's all there. (albeit rusty as hell). Not sure about compression because I haven't been over there to check yet. Pops says it ran 10 years ago, but who knows.

I'm trying to figure out where to start in the process of waking the beast from its decade of hibernation and making it roadworthy again.

I'd like some help in making a checklist of tasks, too. Here's what I've got just from a visual inspection:

• Drain/replace all fluids (oil, brake fluid, drain old fuel, anything else?)
  • Rebuild carbs
  • Rebuild front & rear brake masters
  • Replace fuel & hydraulic hoses
  • Clean/rebuild front & rear brake calipers
  • Replace/clean front & rear brake rotors?
  • New tires (duh)
  • New plugs, new battery, inspect electrics
  • Lube and/or replace throttle & clutch cables
  • Inspect & clean, possibly POR15-line gas tank (this may be the only thing he bothered to "winterize" when parking the bike)
  • Don't need to paint, he had a pro do the tank & covers in 2005

What am I missing? I've never restored a bike before, but I'm really stoked about this project, especially because I'm not the one paying for it! (But I AM still on a budget)

Move the new battery to the top of the list.
The fluids change.
The carbs most likely just need a good cleaning to remove the varnish blockage.
The other stuff as it becomes necessary. The electronics may not be an issue of stored inside away from varmints.
The brake lines while not the best may be serviceable/ridable.
Ditto for the tires. Is the rubber still soft? Or hard cracked and splitting?
The brake rotors hardly wear out. The same for the clutch plates.
The cables may need cleaning and lubing but may last longer than you.
You aren't starting with a bike that has been abused by 6 PO's and sat in back or side yards open to the elements. BUT if the motor hasn't been rotated or kicked over in that time you may have some rust rings on cylinders and valves. I suggest easing it over with the kicker to loosen it up and get some fresh oil to the top end before having a go with the e-starter.

Welcome to the site. ur little slice of the XS650 life.
Your list looks good.
On the oil drain remove both oil filters to inspect and clean, often the sump filter is torn, can be fixed.
Carbs, www,amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Master cylinders, often just a tear down and cleaning gets them ok, rebuild kits if you find anything worn out or damaged.
Yes, on the brake lines the braided stainless steel is a good upgrade.
Brake calipers, same as the Masters.
Brake rotors last practically for ever. Clean them, no need to replace.
Tires of course.
Plugs , Battery and electrics. I have replaced my stock battery with a Ballistic 8 cell battery much smaller, lighter and more power full. On the electrics inspect the alternator brushes. They should be at least a 1/4 inch long, better to replace them if 3/8 inch. Every other connection check for clean and tight.
Cables need to be well lubed. Don't use the spray can lubes. Use oil. Like the repair manual describes, Takes a bit more time but lasts much longer and works much better.
If the tank has just a small amount of surface rust inside I might not do much with it. A good inline fuel filter will stop most of the rust. Adding a magnet some where will help stop most of it.
They used to sell, not sure if they still do, a magnet thingy that you strapped around the fuel line. They claimed it improved gas milage.
Strap it around the fuel filter, if a clear one you will see the rust collect by the magnet.
Once you get started on the refresh you will find more things to fix.
One thing you might consider is replacing the points and coils with an electronic ignition and hotter coil. It will much improve the ease of maintainance as well as the starteing and running of the engine.
I like my Pamco. There is a new one out that even uses an electronic advancer.
Mike's sells the kits. Or go right to the source www.yamahaxs650.com The inventer is Pamcopete and that's his ignition website. He's a member on here too.
Leo

Carb and brake component "rebuilds" will consist mostly of a dis-assembly and thorough cleaning of all the parts. If you're careful not to damage them, most of the gaskets and seals can be re-used. In other words, don't buy rebuild kits for that stuff until you get into them and see if they really need them. Chances are, they won't. The brakes and carbs on my '78 are like 98% original parts, just gone through and cleaned.

The original fuse panel replacement is a "must do". If you don't replace, you will have intermittant electrical problems. Replace with automotive blade type fuse holders.

The original rectifier and regulator may still be working, but they won't be working very well. The old rectifier will rob you of voltage. The mechanical regulator has contacts/springs that are worn, which makes it difficult to be very precise. An NOS automotive regulator (solid state) such as the VR-115 is maintenance free and will control voltage at 14.1 volts. Threads available on this site and others as to how to build your own rectifier with new modern diodes (bridge rectifiers).

Back