broke my brushes and mounts

Nate D

Nate D
Reaction score
i was working on my bike, and stopped working, and came out the next day and started my bike with a wrench hooked up to the bolt where my stator is, so i snapped my brushes and the mount they go on, I have a 75 with 78 engine, what should i buy to get this bike back running

this is nate d, I've been to mikes xs and i'm confused on what i should buy to keep it points system, and even if i want to go electric or whatever u call it, there are still different choices. Can anyone break it down for us slow folks

i was working on my bike, and stopped working, and came out the next day and started my bike with a wrench hooked up to the bolt where my stator is, so i snapped my brushes and the mount they go on, I have a 75 with 78 engine, what should i buy to get this bike back running

Hah! What a maroon! Sez the guy who left his rotor nut finger tight and set off on a rally.
Would you believe it stayed in place for ~100 miles before the brush mount ate the grooves deep enough that the iggy died?
Praise the Lord the rally had a truck & trailer tagging along.

Alternator brush Holder & mount Screws
Alternator brush Holder & mount Screws Photo Alternator brush Holder & mount Screws - Fits: 1970-79 XS/TX650. We
recommend this be replaced if yours is cracked, broken or oil or grease
impregnated.

OEM Reference #
• 256-81613-10-00

Part #24-7079 $11.50 USD Ea

Alternator Brush Set
Alternator Brush Set Photo Alternator Brush Set - Fits: 1970-79 XS650's, XS1/XS2, TX650. Complete set as shown. Replace
brushes if carbon brush is 7mm. (0.276") or less.

Note: To install pull brush assembly around to opposite side of metal
bracket its soldered to and then insert into holder.

OEM Reference #
• 256-81611-10
• 256-81612-11-00

Part #24-2650 $16.75 USD Set

Brush holder Guard with mount Screws
Brush holder Guard with mount Screws Photo Brush holder Guard with mount Screws(2) - Fits: All 650's 1970-84
Part #24-7084 $3.95 USD Ea

This is if you are keeping the "old style" mechanical voltage regulator.

Slightly different parts needed if you are upgrading to a solid state regulator.

You could also post an ad in the classies looking for a brush holder.

nj, I'm going to put some pictures up tomorrow. that way u can see the damage also someone asked what kind of regulator I have, so i'll take a pic of that, I believe its a solid state regulator, the bracket that holds it together is bent so I might be able to use that. From what I see I don't think I can just buy new brushes, but ill post tommorw around 4. thank you fellaS

here is a pic, its not that good but i dont know if i can just replace my brushes. also if i decide to get rid of the points what is the best package to buy from mikesxs.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 154
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 175
my brush holder is good gary, thank you

No your brush holder is TOAST.

the brush holder

24-7079.jpg

bolts to the stator, your stator looks fine.

xs650charging004.jpg

xs650charging001.jpg

xs650charging010.jpg

That parts list above (from mikes XS) is what you need to replace exactly what you have.

OR someone (me say) could send you used parts. I do suggest new brushes though.

Back