Broken Cushion Spring/s ?

thuban

Horse Scratcher
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
What does it sound like at idle, when you have a broken cushion spring/s? The sound from my clutch area sounds like a tappet loose but a bit more tinny.
I went thru the clutch on build up. Bike has 919 miles since build up. It has less than 15K miles since new.

I read thru the late, great, RobinC's post about his "Ticking" noise, right side clutch area. Pages and pages. I didn't want to skip ahead for a spoiler. I just knew paddling ahead was going to get the answer. Finally the creek dried up and I came to the fount of knowledge. There stood one guy rolling-de-bones, another guy shaking a chicken and a voodoo lady squeezing a goats testicles! His noise just vanished.
When I came in from the last ride, the noise had gone away, just like his! Haven't been out since due to rain and bad weather. I think from now on, I'll skip to the spoiler and back track. :wink2:

I'm not sure broken springs would cause a ticking noise. I think what you might experience is the clutch engaging with a "clunk" when taking off in 1st. Those are damper springs after all. The original clutch in my '78 always engaged in 1st with a little clunk but I didn't find any broken springs when I examined it. I don't know what the issue was, maybe just wear and slop in all the clutch basket components. I "fixed" it by swapping in a later 6 plate inner basket, the one with the bottom damper plate. It engages nice and smoothly now, same old original outer basket and damper springs, just a "new" inner basket. I think this is a very worthwhile upgrade and mod. I'd like to think the smoother engagement is going to put lots less stress and strain on those outer hub damper springs.

Thanks 5T!
I'll check into that. I did pick up a clutch basket ( for the springs). It does clunk when I put it in 1st. I can pull in the clutch and kick it thru a few times before I start it. Doesn't seem to help. Sometimes kicking with clutch pulled in still turns the engine over the first kick when it's cold. ( new clutch and heavy oil, I'm thinking.) Yep, springs are good. I found nothing. We'll ride and see.
Thanks 5 T.

They all clunk a bit when you drop it into 1st. I was talking about when you let it out, engage it to start driving/moving. At the very end of the engagement, when the lever was practically all the way out, mine would "clunk". This was when the plates became fully engaged, locked together, and when those outer hub damper springs would or should do their thing. This "clunk" I was getting had me thinking maybe some springs were broken.

They all clunk a bit when you drop it into 1st. I was talking about when you let it out, engage it to start driving/moving. At the very end of the engagement, when the lever was practically all the way out, mine would "clunk". This was when the plates became fully engaged, locked together, and when those outer hub damper springs would or should do their thing. This "clunk" I was getting had me thinking maybe some springs were broken.
Oh, I see. Mine doesn't have that problem. Yep, I was thinking about those springs. I had forgotten about the rubber dampers in the rear wheel that takes some of the strain off the clutch springs.

That's the thing though with the XS650 - there are no rubber damper mounts on the rear sprocket, it bolts solid to the wheel. These clutch hub springs are used instead, to absorb drive train "lurch" and "snatch". It works I guess, but it's much harder to access and repair should there be a problem, and problems happen, the springs break.

I was reading back over my doings. I went into town today and was forced to keep up with the traffic (70 MPH) less I get "runn'd over". I pulled up to a light and I could hear the rattling and like a lifter loose. It's been 577 miles and a little over a month since this problem went away on it's own. (Gona start raining every day starting tomorrow. May not be able to work on it.) I've been changing the oil, due to having to check something, about every 500 miles or so. Guess it's that time again. Somewhere from the dark cobwebbed recesses of my mind, I think I'm starting to remember why my buddy got rid of his yellow and white all those many years ago. He bought it new but kept it less than a year. Only negative comment I ever remember him saying was the points were hard to set.
Yeah, 5T, the rubber rear wheel dampers are in the Honda. ( Old age sux!) Guess I'll change the oil, pull the clutch cover and clutch. Pull the sump, check the timing chain and set the valves. See if I can find anything.
Long day. Went to pick the wife up from work. Told her I had to pull the clutch cover again, check everything over again, cause the noise was back. I said, work on it two hours and ride for one. She said, "like a Harley!" Hahaha. Here and I thought she was just a pretty face!

Last edited:
Back