broken dampening spring on the primary drive gear

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Okej, so when about to reassembly the clutch after fixing the starter gear issue, I now now noticed that one of the dampening spring on the primary drive gear was broken. Hmmmm... :mad:One thing after another... :shrug:

I haven't noticed any rattling noise and everything seems to work fine. Or how does one notice that something is wrong...?

Is it a must to replace if only one spring is broken and there is no obvious problem? What would be the worst that could happen, that it slips out and cause other things to break down?

And if I have to replace, how the hell do one do that? There's no way to disassemble... I saw that xs650shop sells a kit with new springs and bolts/nuts. Does one have to drill apart the things first and then use the bolts/nuts? Is that really safe?

M

Yes, you need to drill the rivets out and replace with the nuts and bolts. Honestly, for the price of that kit, I think you're better off buying a used clutch basket from eBay. If you go this route, take the opportunity to upgrade to the '80 and later basket with the dampened bottom plate. They break those cush springs less often because of the spring-loaded bottom plate, also engage smoother when taking off in 1st. Actually, they probably engage smoother for all the gears, putting less stress on those springs on the back of the hub.

The problem with a broken spring is that pieces of it can fall out of the hub and end up floating around in your oil.

Okej, thanks for info. Always nice to have contact with people who know more. So a '80 and later basket would fit right on and I will be able to use everything else of the clutch that I have now? There isn't that many things for sale in Sweden though, especially not specific interior parts like this... I think... Will have a look though.

Another solution would be to buy only one spring (5 euro) from the dealer and then buy
bolt/nut from a local hardware store.

Do you have any spcifications on the bolts/nuts used?

"Floating around in the oil" you say. But could it block or damage something? If not, since I haven't noticed any problems with it, I think I start with reassembling the things and use it as is. Or would that be a really BAD idea?

I'm a bit tired of fixing more things right now.... :shrug:

You will need a complete clutch assembly if you plan on doing the upgrade. The inner hub and plate stack are what is different. The outer hubs are the same.

I would think you need hardened nuts and bolts to do the repair but have no idea what size or length. As I said, I just get eBay replacement assemblies. I've bought 2 so far for about $20 to $30 each, cheaper than that repair kit.

Part of a broken spring may not plug oil passageways but could jam into turning gears, locking the motor and causing much damage. I'm not saying this will happen but just be aware that it could.

So probably best to change the spring then. Strange that I haven't noticed anything though.

I think I go for the bolts/nuts kit, since the clutch have been working okej for me. But is it safe to use bolts/nuts instead of rivets? Even though I use red loctite.

BTW

Since it's broken, it doesn't do any good anyway. And since everything seems to work okej anyway, wouldn't it be a possibility to just remove the broken spring without drilling out the rivets. If possible... Since it's broken and could fall out, maybe I could wiggle it out and run with only the rest of the springs. Or would the wheel be unbalanced, maybe?

That is an XS650 upgrade kit that replaces half the springs with vesconite bushings.

It's in Australia I believe and it's also quite pricey. The repair kits are also a little shady when you replace the rivets with nuts/bolts.

Probably better off just finding a 80 or later clutch per 5twins suggestion.

What do you mean by "a little shady"? As a synonym to "questionable". So would it be better to put on new rivets?

Is the three vesconite bushings instead of springs supposed to be better? What´s the purpose of using them instead of springs?

And what about my idea of removing the broken spring and run with only five springs? Since it has been broken and I haven't noticed any problems so far. Has anyone tried this? Or would the unbalanced wheel caused by removing it be bad in any way?

By the time you pull it apart, strip & clean the clutch assy & re-assemble with the bolt kit, it would be far easier to replace the entire clutch assembly - as suggested above.
If you are hell bent of going down the path of installing the bolt kit into your clutch damping assembly - make sure you loctite them or lock-washer them so you do not have a failure. I had the same problem with my motor where one of the clutch damping springs went through the transmission & destroyed it, I bought another complete clutch assembly from a forum member from the U.S. & installed it, after doing a motor/trans rebuild - you do not want to have one of these springs or bolt kits fail & go through your motor.

Last edited:
You will need a complete clutch assembly if you plan on doing the upgrade. The inner hub and plate stack are what is different. The outer hubs are the same.

By the time you pull it apart, strip & clean the clutch assy & re-assemble with the bolt kit, it would be far easier to replace the entire clutch assembly - as suggested above.

I also think that the easiest and best way would be to buy an new one (old but complete). Kind of hard to find in Sweden though. 5twin, so the whole assembly cost 20-30 euro? And what about delivery cost? It's rather heavy.

When one talk about clutch assembly, what exactly is included. Everything from spacershaft and housing (hub?) to friction (plate stack?) and pressure plates? 5twin, what is the inner and outer hub and what is the plate stack?

As a first try, what do you think about just removing the broken spring, since it doesn't do any good anyway and the clutch operation has been running okej?

:shrug::(:confused::mad::shrug:

The inner hub and plate stack are what is different. The outer hubs are the same.

Does this mean that if I don't want to upgrade, I could also buy only the outer hub, that is, the drive gear and basket, and then use my old stuff?

A lot of questions... :confused:

After registering and understanding ebay better, I've now found some assemblies or clutch basket/drive gear.

Does anyone of you have time to have a look at offerings at ebay and give me some feedback on which ones could be good to buy? Thanks in advance.

The "plate stack" is simply the stack of clutch plates. Yes, you could buy just the outer hub and use your parts. To do the upgrade, as I said, you need the newer inner hub. A spring-loaded bottom plate was added to the newer inner hub to dampen engagement .....

80-onClutch.jpg

A retaining "ring" (#8) holds that bottom plate in and the basket has a groove cut in it to hold the ring.

I would look for a '74 or newer assembly as earlier ones could be different. Looks like prices have gone up some since I got mine a few years back. Keep shopping though. Good deals do come along on eBay.

Aha, thanks for info. Does it do much difference? I'm quite happy with my clutch now. I'm a bit worried that even a new (old) basket would make the clutch to not work as well as now.

With teh upgrade, can I use the old friction plate package, since they seem fairly new? I've read something about the amount of plates used. And how does this upgrade effect the pushrod. ANy changes necessary?

This is why I'm thinking of first trying to remove the broken spring and run the clutch without it, since it anyhow doesn't damp anything and the clutch seems to work okej anyway. What do you think? Any risks with doing this?

Then I have the winter to find something on ebay....

Anyone knows something about which type of rivets that one could use to reassembly again, if not using bolts/nuts?

I was thinking of maybe have a local workshop to look at it as well. Maybe he could put back new rivets.

Just had a look at the springs. Now noticed tha even two more springs were broken, so that makes three in total. So I definitely have to fix this...

So, the possible solutions are:

-remove the three broken springs and run with only three springs

-new springs on existing basket/driving with new rivets
-new springs on existing basket/driving gear with new bolts/nuts
-second hand bought basket/driving gear , on which I can use my old parts
-second hand bought complete assembly, '80 and after (upgrade)

Last edited:
Back