Broken Engine piece, side cover mount

Kickflippin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
While cleaning up my motor the crate holding it broke a caster, and the poor thing tipped over. Not very hard, but enough to snap off this aluminum mount for the side cover bolt. As a novice when it comes to repairing cast aluminum, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the best way to reattach or work around it. thanks!

BBkQHUI.png

Not an expert but be careful to avoid getting any oil/grease in the break. The good news is a welder should be able to get at it for a good bead with the cover holding the piece aligned perfectly.

Fortunately, that's not a critical load zone. The critical loads are at the three screws that triangulate around the clutch pushrod, two above, one below the pushrod.

To repair that piece, you could try heliarc (may require case disassembly), or something like jb weld epoxy. Drilling a couple holes to fit guide pins into the case and broken part would strengthen the joint.

Damn, I'd TIG that back on for you but your too far away....

Edit:
Do you know how to MIG weld at all? If yes find a guy with a spool gun attachment or get one, get a bottle of pure argon and some AL wire and a small 1/4" think AL sheet, practice laying beads until you are confident enough to reweld it on straight.

Back