Broken Sprockets, Voodoo and Burnt rubber

daroberts3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Here are some photos of early mock up stages of my build. 1983 Heritage, 19,xxx miles and it came with an extra motor, so I can build a second bike (using stock frame). Voodoo Vintage frame with 29 degree rake. Plans include internal throttle on one inch tracker style bars. Jockey shift, foot clutch. Stock wheels powdered black, s/s spokes, Metzeler rubber. Stock motor and ignition. Kick only with battery and homemade wiring harness (cloth coated wires). Have a sweet piece of Spanish Cedar for the solo sprung seat, kick pedal and possibly shift knob. Right foot pedal will operate both brakes. Yes I know the front brake is mounted backwards, I want it that way. Fender brace is cut out from the inside of stock fender. Sportster gas tank will be painted Guinness Beer Brown, most everything else will be black.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 335
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 280
Chopped and smoothed out the alternator cover. Filled in the 'Yamaha' logo with JB Weld, sanded and wrinkle painted with VHT Wrinkle Black. Cooked the cover on top of my kerosene heater. I am pleased with the results. Will be doing the same on the rest of the cover.
Shortened and welded up the jockey shift handle (from a Servi-Star Garden Tractor)
Set the '88 Sportster tank on top and found out the petcock will hit the engine. Ordered a 22mm to 3/8 NPT adapter hoping this will allow better clearance. Don't want to cut into the tank if I don't have to.
Stock exhaust headers with mufflers cut off - no likey.
Made a pizza box seat template. Seat will be apprx 9" wide and 12" long.
Got my s/s spokes today from MikesXS look good and ON SALE!

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 279
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 251
looks a lot better with the shorter shifter. Nice work so far! Do you mean 39°?
p.s. put the yamaha back on the yamaha, don't be ashamed, yamaha's are awesome!

Thanks for the compliment, jamesgs4. This scoot will be all badgeless in order to keep people guessing, I love the look on someones face when they find out it is a Yamaha (not a Triumph or BSA). Frame was ordered with 29 deg. rake, but ya know what, I havent measured it. Wheelbase is apprx. 59"

Here are some pix of a previous Bobber Job that I did. 1985 Honda Shadow 500cc. Some of the mods. include tractor key switch to start, all electrics hidden inside stock air box under the seat. Stock headpipes wrapped up tight. UNI filters and Dynojet kits in carbs. Honda Ascot front forks powder coated black. Right foot brake controls both brakes. etc..... Loud, fast and fun, but not legal (no title)

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 174
Some minor progress lately. Have been super busy in my bike shop (Broken Sprocket Garage) making money and therefore have no time for my own build. So i have been stockpiling some parts for when I do have time.
Here are some pics of fresh powdered pieces done by Moe and Don at Aurora Powdercoating. Shaved one fork leg. Looks good I think. Trees will be satin black. Lower fork legs and side covers are wrinkle black.
Also dropped of my front wheel and hub and lower tree for same treatment. Took lots of pictures of front 64 spoke wheel as a reference for later relacing. I have done H-D 40 spoke wheels a few times, but i know the Yamaha 64 spoke will be a bit more challenging.
Other parts I have acquired lately include Hugh's h-bar bushings and speedo elim., Honda CB350 18" rear wheel, and Athena Gasket kit.
Thinking of running points instead of stock '83 ignition along with a banshee swap......

Attachments

• 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 139
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 132
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 130
Anyone recognize this machine?
A customer told me he had an old, odd ball tractor in his barn and wanted to know if I could get it running for him. This is what he drug in on his trailer. It is a Gravely C 10a. Man is this thing COOL !! I am finding inspiration for my build every time I examine this thing. Look at that steering shaft - straight up ! Cable actuated steering! The view from the cockpit shows no less than 8 different controls from the 5 different levers. It has real grease fittings everywhere! How many new machines come with grease fittings these days? This beast has three other implements that can be run in place of the pictured mower deck. I put in a new battery and it started right up! Man is this thing a handful to operate.
I am invisioning linkages like these for my foot brake and foot clutch pedal!
AND it's for sale.
Am I crazy ???

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 137
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 184
Anyone recognize this machine?
A customer told me he had an old, odd ball tractor in his barn and wanted to know if I could get it running for him. This is what he drug in on his trailer. It is a Gravely C 10a. Man is this thing COOL !! I am finding inspiration for my build every time I examine this thing. Look at that steering shaft - straight up ! Cable actuated steering! The view from the cockpit shows no less than 8 different controls from the 5 different levers. It has real grease fittings everywhere! How many new machines come with grease fittings these days? This beast has three other implements that can be run in place of the pictured mower deck. I put in a new battery and it started right up! Man is this thing a handful to operate.
I am invisioning linkages like these for my foot brake and foot clutch pedal!
AND it's for sale.
Am I crazy ???

interestingly odd. i like it. sure don't make 'em like THAT anymore!

Haven't posted any progress in a long time. My motorcycle shop (Broken Sprocket Garage) has really taken off, so time has been limited. I have been able to purchase a lot of parts though.
Voodoo Vintage seat set-up. THANKS DAVID!
Front wheel was powder coated by Aurora Powdercoating. Thanks Moe!
Front Hub was anodized by Seneca Plating, S.S. spokes by MikesXS (you get what you pay for) and laced by Broken Sprocket Garage (ME!)
Gordon Scott Exhaust which I will be cutting down and possibly parkerizing or gun bluing.
Internal throttle by me.

Welcoming feedback on foot control prototype #1 which are Wheel Horse tractor pedals.

Any ideas for a rear fender? Looking at a spun steel unit from Bare Knuckle Choppers (MADE IN USA!!)

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 208
POOR pictures of modified HHB solid aluminum riser bushings into Biltwell S.S. risers and 1" Biltwell tracker bars. Machined a counterbore into bushing so that the socket head bolt is flush. Drag Specialties headlight.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 167
Here is the first prototype of clutch control and of chain tensioner. Used a 1/4" coupling nut as a jam nut on the stock worm gear. Craftsman 7/16" wrench has set screws to hold it on the coupling nut.
I have trimmed down the Wheel Horse "Clutch" pedal to lighten it up, but it is still heavy (cast iron). Thinking of drilling lightening holes??? I am thinking this set up may be too stressful on the worm gear plastic bushing, any suggestions out there?
Chain tensioner is modified from a Murray mower deck spindle brake, going to order a smaller sprocket from McMaster-Carr . Spring seems to have just the right amount of tension onto the chain.
Side project is a top motor mount. Thinking of using wood, delrin, or billet aluminum. Preferring said materials in that order.

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 162
Just arrived from Bare Knuckle Choppers, a hand spun, 16 ga steel, Made in USA fender!
This thing is heavy duty!

Taped a piece of 3/8" oil hose to the tire to get a tight fender to tire clearance. Now my plan is to cut the radius to match the wheel at its widest point (blue lines in pictures) So as to reveal as much of the side wall as possible and still keep the road debris in check. Going to weld some 5/16-18 threaded bungs to frame, drill fender and mount with button head bolts. Across the bottom frame rails I plan to weld a piece of 1 1/8" tubing and also use that as a fender mounting point.

What to do with the exhaust pipes? They look too long to me. I am thinking of cutting them shorter by about 6" or bending them down just behind the side covers. What do you all think?

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 114
Your workmanship looks first class.

As far as actually riding your bike, how will you control the bike at a downhill (or uphill)grade intersection, with a red light or stop sign. There does not seem to be enough feet..............left foot holding the clutch, right foot to hold the bike up................no feet to press the right brake pedal. Or do you put it into neutral at any intersection that has a grade to it?

Your workmanship looks first class.

As far as actually riding your bike, how will you control the bike at a downhill (or uphill)grade intersection, with a red light or stop sign. There does not seem to be enough feet..............left foot holding the clutch, right foot to hold the bike up................no feet to press the right brake pedal. Or do you put it into neutral at any intersection that has a grade to it?

Thank you for the compliment. One of the main reasons for this project is to showcase my abilities and to bring attention to my shop, Broken Sprocket Garage. So the fact that you have recognized my efforts is fantastic.

As far as how to control this scooter, well, um yeah, need more feet. I have put some thought into this and realized the same thing. This bike will require going into neutral at all traffic stops. What will I do on a grade? First off, avoid them! I will only be riding this bile locally so I can avoid known difficult intersections. I am not planning on riding this bike long distances. I am pretty sure that a clutch pack or two will be sacrificed to the YamaGods while learning to ride this machine.

Again thanks for the compliment retiredgentleman!!

Back