BS34’s

Looks like the Carbs are Factory BS34's........love to see a pic under the side covers of the airbox's.........Looks to be the same set up as the US 80G except the US model had Spoke wheels with a drum brake on the rear.

Have a look under the left engine side-cover plate, (the on with Yamaha written on it), and have a look at the stater to see if it has a black oval block at 1 0'clock. This will tell you what type of ignition you have, if it does have it then you have a TCI, (factory electronic Ignition), another way to tell is have a loom under the chrome cover above the left spark plug.........should be either points on nothing.........if nothing then a TCI ignition

Bit of a rough pic.........stater showing the pic up for the TCI ignition pic-up
Stator 2.jpg

If yuor having trouble with the bike running rough and are thinking it is the carbs then ask a lot of questions with pics because sometimes with the TCI's there are situations where that can cause problems that look like carb tpe symptoms

C5FB0A23-F0FB-45C1-A709-5EAD2A24DFA1.jpeg

Bit of a rough pic.........stater showing the pic up for the TCI ignition pic-up
View attachment 138634
If yuor having trouble with the bike running rough and are thinking it is the carbs then ask a lot of questions with pics because sometimes with the TCI's there are situations where that can cause problems that look like carb tpe symptoms
Hi, it has had Boyer electronic ignition fitted.

If you are bent on changing carbs simplest would be to use a set of " as came from the factory" 80-81 BS34's, use just one petcock . At this point in time, exactly what was on the bike from the factory doesn't really matter. Pretty much everything could and often has been swapped over a several year period of XS models.

897B2505-B155-4F90-AE2C-A611FAAA1D4E.jpeg

If you are bent on changing carbs simplest would be to use a set of " as came from the factory" 80-81 BS34's, use just one petcock . At this point in time, exactly what was on the bike from the factory doesn't really matter. Pretty much everything could and often has been swapped over a several year period of XS models.
Bought these at the weekend at local auto jumble for £15 on the odd chance they may come in handy and looks to me as they will do the job.

Hi Rogt,
photo sez 1980 XS650G (Special II), 3LI- model ident confirms Euro model OTOH Skull's serial nos for that model start at 030 - - - while yours are 000 - - -
A difference that I've noticed:- I've only seen slotted rear brake disks on XS11s and they are the same OD as the XS650 front disks while XS650 rear disks
are the same smaller OD as all 3disks on XS750/850s.
Narsty tank dent? If tank filler cap is centred it's a Standard; if cap is offset to the right it's a Special.
And my pet hate, the stock rototiller handlebars. Strongly advise you swap 'em for bars with better ergonomics.

A lot of my interest is also because ths is the first time an original 79 Euro 3L1 XS650 has been posted about on here, (may have missed one before but am on here a lot), and i have been keeping records and information on the differences between models and there origins....

In 79 the US bike had BS38's and metal air-boxes and points ignition...........Japanese 79 had BS34's with plastic air-box;s and a TCI ignition........your UK, (Euro), has BS34's a with plastic air-box;s and had points ignition........

Subtle differences but there are small differences that will become apparent and the important thing to remember is a lot of information you get from people here will be based on US tolerances...........

This leads me to mention your bike had points. This is because in the last pic, (thanks), under the left side-cover shows the regulator. A separate regulator and rectifier, (under the battery box), are used on Points model bikes...............another potential difference could be the jet needle in your carbs. If they are the original ones and original set up then the needle no, from the dutch site, indicates it is an adjustable Jet needle..........US BS34's didn't have an adjustable Jet needle.......

Another thing i am curious to find out is the forks........Could you take a pic of the top of the forks for me, If they have rubber caps on could you remove them as well.

The reason i ask is that in Europe the Standard 35mm front fork caps and internals are different to the US ones..........the Japanese 79 Specials also have the different 35mm front fork caps and internals.........not an issue until disassembly

read posts #87 #88 #90 #99
https://www.xs650.nl/25-models/132-model-3l1.html

NOTE; Here is a look to ozboy's Japanese 79 3G5 Special.............this bike also has twin manual petcocks on the tank and has the same routing and fuel inlet on the cabs as your bike.........Might be factory original........so don't discount what you see as a lot of the details on these models..........most, or a very big percentage of information on here, (XS650.com) is US based

http://www.xs650.com/threads/neutral-as-ignition-cut-off.53365/page-2

Last edited:
Sorry Fred i think your mistaken..I have highlighted the Euro models in Purple and the 03 seems to be skipped as a no.

I have done an update on the ID PDF highlighting the 79 3L1 000101 to 3L1-020000.........First confirmation i have had on this model.

PDF and JPEG files
ID Chart01.jpg ID Chart02.jpg

Attachments

• ID Chart PDF 27-10-2015.pdf
    822.8 KB · Views: 150
Hi Rogt,
photo sez 1980 XS650G (Special II), 3LI- model ident confirms Euro model OTOH Skull's serial nos for that model start at 030 - - - while yours are 000 - - -
A difference that I've noticed:- I've only seen slotted rear brake disks on XS11s and they are the same OD as the XS650 front disks while XS650 rear disks
are the same smaller OD as all 3disks on XS750/850s.
Narsty tank dent? If tank filler cap is centred it's a Standard; if cap is offset to the right it's a Special.
And my pet hate, the stock rototiller handlebars. Strongly advise you swap 'em for bars with better ergonomics.
Hi, I fitted rear disc from XS750, no dents on tank just a reflection, offset fuel cap, so special or special ll ? as far as the handlebars go I love them, like sitting in an armchair, possibly a reflection on my age !!

061C548D-13DE-47AC-AC6B-B47FD5CC32D0.jpeg
A lot of my interest is also because ths is the first time an original 79 Euro 3L1 XS650 has been posted about on here, (may have missed one before but am on here a lot), and i have been keeping records and information on the differences between models and there origins....

In 79 the US bike had BS38's and metal air-boxes and points ignition...........Japanese 79 had BS34's with plastic air-box;s and a TCI ignition........your UK, (Euro), has BS34's a with plastic air-box;s and had points ignition........

Subtle differences but there are small differences that will become apparent and the important thing to remember is a lot of information you get from people here will be based on US tolerances...........

This leads me to mention your bike had points. This is because in the last pic, (thanks), under the left side-cover shows the regulator. A separate regulator and rectifier, (under the battery box), are used on Points model bikes...............another potential difference could be the jet needle in your carbs. If they are the original ones and original set up then the needle no, from the dutch site, indicates it is an adjustable Jet needle..........US BS34's didn't have an adjustable Jet needle.......

Another thing i am curious to find out is the forks........Could you take a pic of the top of the forks for me, If they have rubber caps on could you remove them as well.

The reason i ask is that in Europe the Standard 35mm front fork caps and internals are different to the US ones..........the Japanese 79 Specials also have the different 35mm front fork caps and internals.........not an issue until disassembly

read posts #87 #88 #90 #99
https://www.xs650.nl/25-models/132-model-3l1.html

NOTE; Here is a look to ozboy's Japanese 79 3G5 Special.............this bike also has twin manual petcocks on the tank and has the same routing and fuel inlet on the cabs as your bike.........Might be factory original........so don't discount what you see as a lot of the details on these models..........most, or a very big percentage of information on here, (XS650.com) is US based

http://www.xs650.com/threads/neutral-as-ignition-cut-off.53365/page-2

You have the spring pre-load adjustable fork caps. I didn't think any other market but the U.S. got those. But, it's also an easily swapped part.

Oceania models got the adjustable 35mm forks.....i have seen on 3 models that i have had, 79SE, 80SG, 81SH and a friends 78SE has them as well...........My Canadian 83 Heritage has the adjustable 35mm front forks...........

Hi, I fitted rear disc from XS750, no dents on tank just a reflection, offset fuel cap, so special or special ll ? as far as the handlebars go I love them, like sitting in an armchair, possibly a reflection on my age !!

Hi Rogt,
I didn't know that bike had slotted disks, it musta been from a later (or perhaps only a different) model of XS750 than the one I worked on.
Try for a slotted disk from an XS11 for the front brake so it'll match, include the slots' self-cleaning function and save an ounce or so of unsprung weight.
Good that your dent wasn't one and yes, the Serial numbers say your bike is a Special II for sure.
But note that about the ONLY thing that won't swap between models to turn one into another is the rear shock angle so you got options
to bolt on whatever different XS650 parts you fancy. And if you like the armchair riding position Marty likes 'em too so you ain't alone, eh?

Hi Rogt,
I didn't know that bike had slotted disks, it musta been from a later (or perhaps only a different) model of XS750 than the one I worked on.
Try for a slotted disk from an XS11 for the front brake so it'll match, include the slots' self-cleaning function and save an ounce or so of unsprung weight.
Good that your dent wasn't one and yes, the Serial numbers say your bike is a Special II for sure.
But note that about the ONLY thing that won't swap between models to turn one into another is the rear shock angle so you got options
to bolt on whatever different XS650 parts you fancy. And if you like the armchair riding position Marty likes 'em too so you ain't alone, eh?
Yes a matching front disc would be nice, armchair position nice but I do wear motorcycle boots not slippers ! thanks again for your interest and reply.

Seems we have the makings for the "Buckhorn Gang", but it would only be a gang of 2, lol.

Back