BS34 Float Help

Upon close inspection I find NO O ring in the mix screw hole. Maybe it fell out unseen when I removed the needle. Tomorrow I will drill out the other plug and remove the needle carefully so that if an O ring is there it won't escape my inspection.

Yes please...

My brother's 1970 Bultaco Sherpa S 200. Bought new in '70. Now has a Steve Scott ported Model 75 Matador 250 cylinder and, through a strange sequence of events, the wheels of of my own first Bultaco a 1970 Sherpa S 125.

My vintage racer. 1974 Bultaco 360 Pursang

1975(?) Husqvarna 400WR

Bultaco Model 90 Astro 250. Probably 1971 or 72.

And a bunch of misc. Bultaco parts. I'm currently working or building a 1974 Husqvarna 400CR. Maybe it's going to be a vintage racer. Another current project is a Model 26 Matador 250 that I plan to make street legal & license for those quick trips to the hardware, grocery or beer runs.

Clearly, I've got a lot more ambition than expertise. Working or Nearly Working.jpg M121.jpg WR400.jpg M90.jpg More Motors 2.jpg Motors.jpg Handlebars-Tanks.jpg Gas Tanks.jpg Swingarms.jpg Working or Nearly Working.jpg M121.jpg WR400.jpg M90.jpg More Motors 2.jpg Motors.jpg Handlebars-Tanks.jpg Gas Tanks.jpg Swingarms.jpg

Attachments

• Working or Nearly Working.jpg
    Working or Nearly Working.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 117
Nice!!! Thanks for sharing! I have a '77 370 Pursang that my dad bought new in '77. Love that bike for many reasons.

Should be a nice bike. What model is it? Bultaco didn't go by year necessarily. The references I posted are just because that's the way people tend to think. Bultaco though might run the same model for a couple of years or switch in the middle of the day. You can find the model numbers on the headset and on top of the right side case. A picture would be nice!

not sure what pictures you're interested in
See the response the pics got :) . Some wide MC interest here. I hope you're finding that although we're XS for the most part no one is going to complain when other makes are mentioned. It's all about the ride.

Great collection, does bring back some memories.

Yep...It's an M193. Bought in '77 from Paulson's in Olympia WA. I've raced it for many years.:)
It's in storage at the moment as I'm in the middle of moving. I'll see if I can find some race photos.

That's great! I also have a 193 but it's not high on my project list. Set up for flat track racing. Was part of a lot I bought from a guy getting out of Bultacos.

I'll try to stick to Yamahas now...

6SagS7pMkk67u8x019x3wLLxVDi272Cgu3_UOhy1nq87x7_H56zOS6g8PRMoO4ymwgBHTqoqG0kg1QFPdnKYUFhNEfn8LjGwgvknsmDlX9R3vXAl-VJ7dk-JtCuugPmrS5XtaPBTJHRRlIEM29ePh07JPdaFZicLJIlXS2abSX0Q2XyARy1AOUdEHDFRH1YSeza6wAJMr34nqeE_ZQt2d338A58lCxLukCqRIbOivzgLF_wRMT5eSxPYGPMh4ABNkXx-4dCGzeO8TEPTNLAsMCZ9PpYv7LZMRzrO2_USh7sZ7wVy6AXSMMv-A7lbd2PkuBb0XdJirOlomIt_KtDmZkdarlXo5xyOaXTLPYmlZLf1cIeVd3tsjGdOhn4kKPZxKreeVOXlMX8ZRfTWM76ARCAHhq52GVr7-mDTCWhGCFPkwXFb3BweibdsTn_GhhgisUd-uJ1sqnoMBAJlsE0UDBaXmxWE0DIEQ42J3gFySJBKw2Oc8p-gVLoxfY0IzeX48d4mgLP78PUHwP7neF24E89cR8zhFhz0vOVkeTiRhmIT3-wTNWwC-qzMDQClq3S7nn6T41h519JoYler_SUMq4GhjOGcdb4cQyBAWz4G6fHqrKomJ8y1apKKVHt9uvBuIRv-DqKP8YtcTJ5FHSI9l9iES4R8ezXggUvmx_KRQASrmq7pUynyR90bKVgdiIqAYe6NdpdfXwmhIzw9QlUGJ_o=w835-h627-no

That's really odd. I'm pretty sure the mix screw won't work right without the o-ring, or one in good shape. It seals the metering needle point into the hole, not letting in any extra air from above it.

On the '83 I acquired recently, the P.O. said the carbs were never quite right and had issues. He didn't go into details but when I went through them I think I discovered why. He hadn't done the carb overhaul job 100%. He tried to get at the butterfly shaft seals but buggered up butterfly plate screws showed he failed, lol. When I got to them, they were all hardened up and in need of replacement. He also never replaced the mix screw o-rings, don't know why. They were deformed and hard as a rock. So, I did all that, a 100% job, and the carbs work fine. It idles nicely, and will rev from idle to redline with no flat spots, stumbling, or break-up.

It's difficult to see into the mix screw hole so I've been concerned that maybe there was an O ring in there that I just couldn't see but I can see what appears to be an indentation where an O ring might fit. I've ordered mix screws which come with the O ring so I guess I'll see what it looks like when the parts arrive. I bought this bike with 2,000 miles on it and it really never ran just right but it didn't display the symptoms you describe. More like it would sometimes cut out, like maybe an electrical issue. I suppose it's possible that the PO removed the mix screws & left out the rings but if he did he must have installed new plugs which seems unlikely.

I've been concerned about those butterfly seals because I'm not sure I can get those screws out of the butterfly plate valves.

It's difficult to see into the mix screw hole so I've been concerned that maybe there was an O ring in there that I just couldn't see but I can see what appears to be an indentation where an O ring might fit. I've ordered mix screws which come with the O ring so I guess I'll see what it looks like when the parts arrive. I bought this bike with 2,000 miles on it and it really never ran just right but it didn't display the symptoms you describe. More like it would sometimes cut out, like maybe an electrical issue. I suppose it's possible that the PO removed the mix screws & left out the rings but if he did he must have installed new plugs which seems unlikely.

I've been concerned about those butterfly seals because I'm not sure I can get those screws out of the butterfly plate valves.
Bookmark this thread. In it you'll find links to hard to find parts and the best prices. The butterfly shaft seals are in there as are the screws for the throttle plate. You could drill the boogered screws out and use new. Careful beating on the screws. The shaft is brass as will deform pretty easily.

Yes, the mix screw o-ring can be difficult to see. If it's there, the assembled mix screw, when turned in all the way and LIGHTLY seated, should have it's tip protrude into the main bore a little bit (see Gary's pic in post#17). Here's another shot that gives a bit better perspective to the surrounding area .....

zm9uAcE.jpg

Best chance of getting the butterfly plate screws out is by using a perfectly fitting J.I.S. type screwdriver. I use these 2" long Vessel insert bits in a T-handle holder .....

IZ7q4Jf.jpg

Back