Bs34 plastic floats??

Mlwahler

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my carbs apart after watching video on YouTube of adjusting floats.. I have an 81 with plastic floats. I bought rebuild kits from mikes. I pulled floats and cleaned carbs and installed new parts.. The question I have is in the YouTube video the floats appear to spring a bit when you push them. The new needles from the kit with the plunger work but one if my floats appears to just drop even if the tang is bent up there no spring to it... They are the original floats with the tube in the where the pin slides into...the end of the tube in the float in question appears to be a little oblong...will this be a problem. I don't want to use new plastic floats because I read they have there issues. Thx

The original viton rubber tipped float needles and seats were very long lasting. If yours were still in pretty good shape and functioning OK, I would continue to use them. Keep the kit parts for emergency spares. Those kits are aftermarket and the quality is hit and miss.

5 twins, I could reuse the needles but the seat were pretty beat up. Does it matter if there's no real spring effect to the floats... When watching the video they appear to have a little spring action to them when u tape the floats. My one float does this but the other with the slightly obliged tube where the pin goes through just more or less drops...

That little spring action is the norm. I don't know what would happen without it. Could you get it by using an original needle in the new seat?

It must have something to do with that buggered up float pivot then. What do you have the floats set at? If the setting is incorrect, that may be causing it.

22 +\- one. If I hold the float at 22 it just touchs the top of plunger on the needle but then I let it go it drops alway the way down and compresses the pin. But it is 22 when I hold it where it should be

The float should be measured and set with it resting on the pin. That usually does compress the pin spring a little, but not all the way. If you're going to try and use that float, you should probably re-set it so it measures 22 with the float resting on the float needle pin (even though it's fully compressed). That's where the fuel level will push it to when in operation and that will determine the fuel level in the bowl.

Are you familiar with Empire Cycles out on Route 20 between West Seneca and Orchard Park? He's got a whole shelf full of old carbs. Maybe you could get a good used original float from him.

Hamburg, near the Erie County Fairgrounds. I thought I mentioned to you I was local in one of your other threads.

No you didn't. I live in hamburg by amsdell middle school... Just picked up my first XS this summer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 87
You're only a few miles from me, lol. I shop at that Walmart over by you all time, in fact I was just there yesterday. Send me a P.M. and we can swap contact info if you like. We can talk XS650s over the phone any time if you have any questions. I ride a mildly modded stocker but I've helped a couple local guys with custom builds.

Your build is looking good. Did you buy it already hardtailed or start with a stock bike?

I bought it hardtailed.. Guy in Ohio buikt it recently but family situation made him sell it.. All I did was re torque head to hopefully fix a leak( didn't start the bike yet after re torque) took wheels to don George's the other day to have them trued.. Previous owner took out spokes to powder coat rims and any riding over 50 mph it was all over the place.. I ordered new bars from zombie performance. Just minor tweaks here and there.. Carbs were leaking out of the pods so I know it's float related..

I can't tell from your pic but have the rubber washers under the 4 outside acorn nuts on top of the head been replaced with copper or brass washers? If not then that's something you'll want to do. The original rubber washers allow those acorn nuts to lose their torque setting and come loose all the time. Then the leaks start, lol .....

ButtonHeads.jpg

Back