BS38 carb slides

hard_y_rd

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I was reading a thread on here about carb slides and a test was to push them up and see if they go back down. Are they supposed to stay up or slide down.

There is a kidney shaped hole on the top of the intake bell. Lift the slide, cover this hole with a finger tip. Now release the slide, it should drop slowly.
If the enrichener doesn't seal well the slides will fall faster.
Leo

There is a kidney shaped hole on the top of the intake bell. Lift the slide, cover this hole with a finger tip. Now release the slide, it should drop slowly.
If the enrichener doesn't seal well the slides will fall faster.
Leo

My question is this,,, if you have a bad or leaking enricher, will it effect the bikes running and or ability to start hard?

Yes, it could effect the running, not so much the starting. You see, when the "choke" seals, it's sealing in the "off" position. If it doesn't seal, the bike could run excessively rich.

That seems to be exactly the problem with mine. Choke doesn't work on start up. But when i get it going i pull it on and it will kill the engine. I wonder if i pull the choke body gasket off will that make a difference. Mikes XS says the 73 carb setup doesn't use a gasket but mine had one on it when i rebuilt them.

Dont know how similar the early 38 are to the later ones, but my choke wouldnt stay on fully unless i held it, so partial choke made it hard to start when it was pretty cold out.

Posted via Mobile

Back