BS38 drain plugs stuck bigtime, need advice! (pics)

Rexxis

Almost there...
Reaction score
So I'm rebuilding my BS38's, they were off the bike when I bought it. The bike hasn't run since I've owned it and not for quite some time before that I'd have to guess.

I bought a couple of rebuild kits from Mike's and I want to replace everything with the new parts of course, but there's a problem, somebody seriously mangled the drain plugs. They are mostly rounded off and the slots are boogered up too. I can put ALOT of pressure on twisting the screwdriver as long as I'm also putting ALOT of weight downward onto the screwdriver, otherwise it wants to twist out like the previous persons screwdriver obviously did.. I'm assuming they look the way they do because they are stuck.. umm yeah, they wont budge, like at all.

Is there something going on that I'm unaware of? I think someone might have locktite'd them in there bc I gave 'em all I had and they aren't loosening.

HELP! :confused:

photo.jpg

Now I haven't had the bike running yet so If nobody has any ideas then I will just replace everything but the mains and hope for the best. They might not even need to be replaced but I'll have to get the bike running before I'll know for sure.

Last edited:
do you have the key? haha. dremel to make the slots cleaner? vise grips? gun? hammer? that looks like something i would have done...

get the needle nose vise grips and put 'em on so tight they bite into the brass....then add some penetrating oil like "Kroil...wiggle carefully back and forth until they break loose.

the vise grips need to be crazy tight. no way they should be that tight tight.

Then get some new one or say hello to mr. file and clean up the flats enough to use.

I got em out!!!

I'm glad I did too because there was lotsa nasty shit behind 'em.

I had to file flat sides back onto one of them bc the brass was crumbling around the edges, that gave me a good surface to grab onto them with the stepped teeth part on the open side of these fence pliers.

photo1.jpg

whew, glad I got em out.:thumbsup:

Thanks for your replies guys!

Last edited:
Altogether fitting and proper, In my view, that a cowboy from Oklahoma named Rex should use fence pliers to fix his steed. Nice to make your acquaintance so to speak. Most critters I've met named "Rex" have turned out to be either German Shepards or Palominos. Best, Rex aka Blue

Attachments

• Part_Mule.jpg
    Part_Mule.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Available from Mikes XS.....

Float Bowl Drain Plug Float Bowl Drain Plug - Fits:1970-79 Stock 38mm. Mikuni CV Carbs.

OEM Reference #
• 256-14991-00-00

Part #48-0779$3.50 USD Ea

by the way...the thread size is M8 x 1.0 Don't get a bolt any longer than the stock drain plug...you'll cut off flow to the main jet!

Last edited:
Take your float bowls to the hard ware store. Find some bolts that thread into the hole.If they are too long that's ok. Once you get them home you can shorten them to match the plugs you took out.
Use a bit of anti-sieze when you install them in the bowls, don't want them stuck again.
New gaskets under the bolt heads will keep them from leaking. My bet is a PM as in previous moron, had a bit of a leak from the plugs and just tightened them until it stopped leaking. At least long enough to sell it.
Leo

Blue got his responce in before mine. The EOM he lists, if you try the dealer with that number you might get them there and save shipping cost.
Leo

Back