Buchanan's spokes

I don't think that's gonna work. The spokes will probably start breaking right where they enter the nipples.

Yeah looks wrong to me too.I sent them pictures but maybe they got caught in a spam filter or something because I haven't heard back. Frustrating, can't do much else with this project until it's rolling.

Huyner, you hear anything about yours yet?

Nope, that was my first try. I followed the marks on the hub left by the previous spokes and this is how it came out. I'll try to get some better pics tonight, it's tricky because half the error is in one plane and half is in the other so you only see half the error in a straight on picture like this.

I think we all see the bent spokes - it's the overall pattern that needs to be seen so step back and take a pic.

Unlace the rim after you take a pic. For what its worth, I pay $45 per wheel to have a pro lace and true my wheels.

Well honestly I'd love it if it was my error. I can fix that and get on with things, but if its really an error in the rim drilling it's a big beadache because I'm in canada and the shipping to and from Buchanan's is expensive and time consuming. I asked when I ordered the rim+spokes if they needed me to take any measurements but they assured me they had all they needed on file.

If Buchanan's sold you spokes and a rim for a specific hub, 99.9% they got it right. I've never had a problem with their products or on-file specs. I've never measured any of my wheels for them and have paired some oddball stuff together (19" Sun rim to a CB front hub with heavy duty spokes/nipples, Suzuki GT750 front hub to an XS650 rear rim etc.)

And if they did get it wrong, I have no doubt they'll make it right. But take a pic of your wheel - till then nobody can tell you if you've laced it right. Or find your local guru (my guy laces wheels for all the local vintage racers).

Where are you located? I'm in Toronto.

How it looks right now, here's hoping it's wrong:

RA6Nz.jpg

Bummer.

Well I sent another email to Buchanan's with that new picture, and this time I sent it to their tech support address instead of Kennie's in case he's on vacation or something. Hopefully i hear back soon.

Oh something else I thought of last night, did the hubs change over the years? This is the hub off my 71 and that's what I asked them to drill for, but you never know for sure the PO didn't swap the hub with a later one right?

I had buchanan provide spokes and a rim. I laced and had no issues at all. The main difference was that I went with an Excel dimpled rim. This makes achieving proper spoke angle much easier.

Attachments

• Rear Wheel1.jpg
    Rear Wheel1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 129
photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

I didn't like how the nipples sat in the dimples, so I sent it back to buchanan's for them to lace it. They provided the spokes, rims, and punched the holes. They laced them up exactly how I did it and had to cut the spokes down. I still don't like how the nipples are sitting. :wtf:

Yeah mine stuck up like that too. They acknowledged receiving my pictures last week but I haven't heard anything else.

Andysrage: yeah I can see how dimples would help avoid that. Does excel offer dimpled rims in wider sizes though? Mine is a 4.25 rim.

My rim that I bought from Buchanan's is a dimple excel 4.25, punched out to match the hub off an 81 xs650 wheel. I think it looks like shit. They should have punched it more in the dimple.

Mine is a 3.5" wide Excel. Having the spoke nipples protrude slightly on the inside doesn't concern me much. They have a rounded edge on the head so there is little concern about tube damage. Excessive spoke thread protrusion, on the other hand, could lead to a greater likelihood of a puncture. Of course, a good rim strip is a must and Drag Specialties make nice wide ones.

You guys are shelling out hundreds of dollars to a so-called premier wheel building place and getting shit work like that in return? Nice. I could do better myself, you could do better yourself. If I had your money, I'd burn mine, lol.

Hehe yeah it's pretty disappointing 5twins. Buchanan's just got back to me and said it's their mistake, that their drilling machine couldn't do a steep enough angle to lace that hub to that rim with that pattern etc. I wish they told me that when I ordered but okay, moving on. So does anyone know a smaller alternative rear spoked hub that doesn't require you to run a giant sprocket? I don't want to run anything more than a 32 back there.

Well to update this I guess I misunderstood what they were telling me. They did say the first one wasn't right because the drilling machine couldn't do enough angle but apparently that doesn't mean I need to find a new hub. They're telling me they CAN make one with the correct angles to work with this hub so I put this rim in the mail today to return it. No idea how long that's going to take...

Back