Building a motor from the ground up... is it worth it?

big donnie brasco

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a few of you may know that I recently purchased a really nice 80 xs650 special and turned right around and sold it.

I am now kind of kicking myself and think I should have kept it.

BUT... I am thinking of taking this winter to BUILD a motor from scratch. I have read some KILLER threads here where you all did just that, and I think I want to try my hand at it.
That being said, is this usually a situation where I will sink WAY more money into it than it's worth?

Kind of like buying an existing house vs building one?!

So instead of buying a running, titled 650 and chopping it up into a cafe or tracker, I'd be doing the reverse. I'd be building the engine, buying a frame, seat, clip-ons etc.

Just saying all this "out loud" already makes me think it's going to be way more expensive to go this route, but I wanted to run it past you fine folks first!

I will freely admit that I have NO clue what I am doing, but I have never let that stop me before!

Thank you so much!
Don

If you're dead set on rebuilding a motor, and I'm not saying you shouldn't, it would probably be more economical to go to a cycle junkyard and buy as complete a bike as you can find rather than going completely piecemeal. When I bought my project bike, it had most of the engine (sans left side cover), frame, useable forks, wheels, and swingarm and cost $150. Just some food for thought.

I liked rebuilding the engine, but it does get costly quick. Gasket kit, new seals...New shiny bolts if you're so inclined...Open the engine up and find you might need new pistons, or need to overbore the cylinders...then the extras like PMA or Pamco.

One of the things I wanted to do when buying my XS was to completely rebuild the engine, so I knew going into this that it would probably cost me more than if I had just bought an old bike and got it running to put it on the road.

I think though, that completely building a bike from the ground up could get to be an expensive, and frustrating venture. You have to have access to some very good parts lists and manual (which you should have anyway) and then you would have to source all those parts. It's hard enough finding that worn gear or valve from a reliable source, let alone the whole engine worth of parts.

I would stick with the basket case idea. That way you would have the bulk of what you needed. Besides that, tearing down the engine will give a little insight to how it will go back together.

Now as far as the title thing goes, I live in a you-must-have-title state. If you live in the same type state and putting that bike on the road is important, then you will obviously have to look for a titled bike. If it is not critical, you may be able to save by buying bill of sale only. You could still tear the engine apart, learn a lot about it and still put it in a bought frame down the road.

Regardless of the way you go, this forum is full of great people that will help you out along the way.

Good luck.

decisions, decisions....

I see you also have a Star bike! I love my 03-1100 !

One of the things I wanted to do when buying my XS was to completely rebuild the engine, so I knew going into this that it would probably cost me more than if I had just bought an old bike and got it running to put it on the road.

I think though, that completely building a bike from the ground up could get to be an expensive, and frustrating venture. You have to have access to some very good parts lists and manual (which you should have anyway) and then you would have to source all those parts. It's hard enough finding that worn gear or valve from a reliable source, let alone the whole engine worth of parts.

I would stick with the basket case idea. That way you would have the bulk of what you needed. Besides that, tearing down the engine will give a little insight to how it will go back together.

Now as far as the title thing goes, I live in a you-must-have-title state. If you live in the same type state and putting that bike on the road is important, then you will obviously have to look for a titled bike. If it is not critical, you may be able to save by buying bill of sale only. You could still tear the engine apart, learn a lot about it and still put it in a bought frame down the road.

Regardless of the way you go, this forum is full of great people that will help you out along the way.

Good luck.

decisions, decisions....

I see you also have a Star bike! I love my 03-1100 !

Oh yea. Love my Warrior. That beast isn't going anywhere. :D

That's why I wanted to get a vintage bike to tear into. Wasn't taking that thing apart. At least not while it was my only road worthy bike. Just glad it turned out to be another Yamaha.

If you are looking at this as a hobby/project, money is not the problem. You have to buy something here and there and I've never personally kept track of it. It might scare me to know. My only advise would be to freshen up a known decent motor, and stay very close to stock. The aftermarket upgrade thing can get real pricey real fast. Research everything before you tear stuff apart and read other people's woes for a good education. Remember, it's an XS650, so it's worth it. If you are not a tinkerer, change your mind.

I build motors all the time from the ground up BUT I have spare parts and the little parts are what will kill you. You are better off buying a motor that is in need of a rebuild or just a bottom end that is complete then break it all down and rebuild it. Buy crank-trans-clutch setup is easy its the little nuts bolts spacers springs that if you don't have them you will go nuts and spend more money than needed. There are motors out there that need HELP. I buy them all the time on craigslist and then just tear them down and rebuild them for sale at a later time. You have all the parts and learn as you take it apart and put it back together with new parts. Great way to learn.

Back