Built my first frame:P

Ebola Monkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should have put this in the lounge, or the garage.

Anyway, this is how I spent my day today. Less constructive than my wife would like, but I got to use the new welder to build an XS650 hardtail frame.

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

Made out of some vintage Yamaha spokes. 9 I think.

Got me too!
Thanks for the laugh, nice work. Scale up a bit and watch out TCbros.

If you really mig welded that then heck yea your ready to tackle a full frame. Thats cool

Uh... you forgot the axle plates. And it looks like an acute triangle... And I wouldn't ride that without proper neck gussets... But at least you raked the neck. Just sayin'.

When I saw the first pic I got really scared that you used 1" tube for the whole frame!

(Also, The Garage is a good place for this post, The Lounge is for stuff that is really really off topic)

Uh... you forgot the axle plates. And it looks like an acute triangle... And I wouldn't ride that without proper neck gussets... But at least you raked the neck. Just sayin'.

I'll refer to your old title... ahem. I almost made an "acute triangle" comment on my original post, but figured no one would get it.

I should say though... I thought this would make a great paperweight. That was the original idea. I realized as I was doing it though that it's WAY TOO FUCKING BIG to be a paper weight. Not to mention that it weighs somewhere in between Jack Shit, and Moon Gravity.

I must have done too good of a job on it though, because even my wife encouraged me to "move forward" on it.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Actually I didn't MIG weld it. It was all done with .035 Flux Core. I don't have a bottle yet, so Flux Core only at the moment.

Well then... you forgot the axle plates. And it looks like an acute triangle... And I wouldn't ride that without proper neck gussets... And there's no way you got decent penetration on your welds with flux core. You should have TIG welded that frame. But yeah, at least you raked the neck. So you'll look totally cool while you kill yourself riding that death trap. Just sayin'.

I'm gonna hav'ta agree with Teebs on the TIG thing.. I also think you have too much stretch in the rear! Where's the engine mounts (if it'll even fit in that tiny loop!) :wink2:

I have to agree about the welds. Everyone knows that TIG is the only way you can safely build a frame. I'm just happy that my 80xs650 was TIG welded at the factory, or else it would have surely fallen apart causing death and/or dismemberment 30 years ago.

I think I have proper penetration. I wiped everything down with Astroglide before welding.

I plan to add some gussets tomorrow. They will be of the webbed variety, you know, the strongest type.

Do I need to TIG weld the walnut I plan to use?

How do I weld copper?

Anyone know where I can buy a 1:11.75 scale sportster tank?

I have to agree about the welds. Everyone knows that TIG is the only way you can safely build a frame. I'm just happy that my 80xs650 was TIG welded at the factory, or else it would have surely fallen apart causing death and/or dismemberment 30 years ago.

Not only that, but the factory TIG welds are sooooo clean and smooth.

I think I have proper penetration. I wiped everything down with Astroglide before welding.

Oooooooo, look at Mister Fancy-Pants with his hyphenated name and premium quality lubricant. Frikkin prima donna....

How do I weld copper?

With a TIG welder, idiot...

It's a King tank, so it might be a little long, but PM me if you're interested:

mimi_sporty_tank.jpg

I plan to add some gussets tomorrow. They will be of the webbed variety, you know, the strongest type.

Do I need to TIG weld the walnut I plan to use?

How do I weld copper?

You should use a peanut for the tank. No, not a peanut tank, I mean an actual peanut.

Back