burr on valve stem end

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My first rebuild since I was a teenager; 77 XS, I have removed the valve springs, trying to push the valve out and it sticks in the guide as soon as it goes past the seal. The end of the stem feels like it has a very slight lip on it. I know I could push it through with a light hammer, but before that, is it usual for the valve to hang up like that? If I push it out with a bit of force, am I going to scratch the inside of the guide? My solution is to use some emery cloth on it to clear off the burr, but that will take some time. Search had nothing on point.

My first rebuild since I was a teenager; 77 XS, I have removed the valve springs, trying to push the valve out and it sticks in the guide as soon as it goes past the seal. The end of the stem feels like it has a very slight lip on it. I know I could push it through with a light hammer, but before that, is it usual for the valve to hang up like that? If I push it out with a bit of force, am I going to scratch the inside of the guide? My solution is to use some emery cloth on it to clear off the burr, but that will take some time. Search had nothing on point.
If emery cloth doesn't remove the nick, then try using a small file. Need to remove it to prevent galling the inside of the guide

Thanks to each of you for your input. Now where is that b***ard file?

Attachments

• 100_2851.JPG
    100_2851.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 91
Back