1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Bushyboy's build thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bushyeyed1, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Bushyeyed1

Bushyeyed1 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Getting my bike started cold using the starter has been an issue and usually drains the battery enough to have to resort to old kick-start. So I checked the voltage with headlight unplugged across battery. @ idle 12.6 and @2500 rpm I get 13.9. I changed the rectifier and same results. So history of electrical already is replaced stator, brushes, battery load tested good, wires all tested, ignition switched cleaned and tested. I did fix my bike breaking down from past issues, but now would like the battery to at least be able to start using starter when bike cold. I have looked at curly's guide so will try and follow some of the steps when I get chance. Is the 13.9 volt reading low enough to be concerned about the low charge? Or am I just about to dig a hole for no reason?

LiveSlowDieWhenever and Jim like this.
  2. Jim

Jim "No...Try not. Do ... or do not. There is no try." Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

14.2 to 14.5V is what you normally see when revved. 13.9's a little low but acceptable. I'd let it be.

Bushyeyed1 likes this.
  3. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Have you checked the condition of the starter cables? If they are in poor shape may have somrthing to do with it. I know on my other bike, I have upgraded to a larger wire set and starts easier. Something to check out.

Jim and Bushyeyed1 like this.
  4. Bushyeyed1

72 degrees today so went for a nice long ride. I am digging the sound of the exhaust. Gonna hate swapping it out for one with mufflers. Need to finish the tank emblems now. Glad that the bike is able to make it down the road now.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Moabite and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  5. Bushyeyed1

Third time is the charm sometimes. I think I got the epoxy on the emblem right this time. I will post a pic once I get it one the bike.

Attached Files:

Jim likes this.
  6. Bushyeyed1

Who says you can't have the old style emblems on a 1980 tank? I am really pleased how it turned out. And now I have learned one more skill in life.

Attached Files:

7. Bushyeyed1

Pretty awesome riding the bike to work today. The weather was a little cool this am, but still my long sleeve was enough to keep me warm. Already got some parts to upgrade the front brake system on the way. Going to keep oem caliper and the rotor disc is still good, but a new master cylinder, braided brake lines, brake pads, and a caliper rebuild kit should make the brakes a little better. Also got a used 18" rear rim coming in from California. Guess when I take the rear wheel off I'll check the rear brake pads.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Jim likes this.
  8. Bushyeyed1

Got this 1971 Yamaha jt1 in a box of parts. It is almost 100 percent complete now. What's next and what do I do with my hands?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019 at 11:50 PM
    Jim likes this.
  9. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Are we ever really done with our 650? lol. I don't recall seeing you do any handling upgrades here. Steering head bearings usually need replacing, better rear shocks really help, Minton Mods in the forks, TX750 swingarm swap, that all should keep you busy for a bit, lol.

Superjet likes this.
  10. Bushyeyed1

True 5twins always a project to be done. I guess maybe I should probably spend a few hours with my wife, lol. She is jealous of my mistress who lives in my shed. I may end up making this jt1 a mini me of the xs650 once I get it running.

11. Bushyeyed1

Well away from home once again as my parts wait to be installed. I should have everything I need to rebuild my front brake system. Also I got a 18" rear rim and tire I plan on throwing on the back. If anyone wants me to hold the 16" for them let me know. I am anticipating actually starting up my JT1 mini enduro as well as working on the xs650. I've been tempted to buy a bike for cheap while I am up north. I have been eyeing a 78' Kawaski KZ650, but the old lady said no so I had to stand down.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019 at 11:55 PM
  12. LiveSlowDieWhenever

LiveSlowDieWhenever probably broke down. Just call me greasy.

*disclaimer, I almost never know what I’m talking about* but to the effect of your starter issues, mine is the same way and I’ve been reading until the time comes to broach the issue. Is the starter motor slow to turn over? Tried bypassing the relay with a jump from battery? If all connections check out, maybe oil -filled starter motor or bad brushes? I haven’t pulled mine yet, but all elec. issues check out so I’m gonna expecting a VERY well lubricated motor.. anyway, beautiful bike! :cheers:

Jim and Bushyeyed1 like this.
  13. Bushyeyed1

Yeah I am suspecting the starter motor brushes or the oil filled scenerio. I have checked everything else and I am going to wait till an oil change is needed before I pull the starter motor.

14. LiveSlowDieWhenever

LiveSlowDieWhenever probably broke down. Just call me greasy.

Nice. I won’t be far behind. Maybe your bike has similar symptoms, even fresh off of the charger, starter motor is very sluggish, but after warming up (and assumingly softening up all of the sludge inside) it turns right over

Bushyeyed1 likes this.