But really, what's the point of a fuel reserve?

KentMoney

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been wondering why most petcocks have an 'On' position and a "Reserve" position. Couldn't you just always ride on the "Reserve" and then you would never have to worry about switching mid ride.

What is the purpose of the Reserve feature? The only thing I can think of is that it acts like an fuel indicator, that once you start sputtering on the "On" position, and you switch to Reserve, then you KNOW it's time to get gas....Or is there another reason?

It's a warning that you're about to run out of gas, as you have deduced. If you don't appreciate that, then you're free to ride on reserve all the time. But don't call me to bring you a can of gas.

Isn't maybe having enough gas to get to the next station and not having to push your 400 lb bike enough? That's why there is a "reserve" position.

Just sitting at a busy intersection last night with no gas stations in sight....light turned green and I barely putted through the intersection. Flipped it to reserve and off I went. It's a life saver, trust me!

KentMoney,

Well, having a reserve is just a byproduct of not using the gas in the bottom of the tank where all the crud resides.

I use my trip meter to judge when it is time to fill up. On my CB750, I cut the pickup tube short so I could ride further without having to go on reserve, so I still fill up 25 miles before the reserve is needed. Also, if you have paper fuel filters there is a good chance that the reserve won't work when you need it because there is not enough pressure to get through the filters. Using reserve = plugged carbs = screwing with the carbs instead of riding.

I tend to use reserve to get myself 25 miles FURTHER AWAY from the last gas station I passed!

i asked just because I wanted to make sure I understood the reason behind it.

another reason I am asking is because I am highly considering going with some brass plumbing components and an inline valve instead, so this will remove my Reserve option. I think most of the 3/8 petcocks out there are frankly ugly and too big. Someone really ought to make a good looking petcock that isnt huge...I wish I had a machine shop...

KentMoney,

Well, having a reserve is just a byproduct of not using the gas in the bottom of the tank where all the crud resides.

I use my trip meter to judge when it is time to fill up. On my CB750, I cut the pickup tube short so I could ride further without having to go on reserve, so I still fill up 25 miles before the reserve is needed. Also, if you have paper fuel filters there is a good chance that the reserve won't work when you need it because there is not enough pressure to get through the filters. Using reserve = plugged carbs = screwing with the carbs instead of riding.
you can avoid that headache by keeping a clean tank, if your tank is deterioriating from the inside out, it is time for a new tank.

jamesgs4,

Well, the allowable sediment in gasoline dispensed at the pump is .05% If you fill up with 2.5 gallons then you could have as much as .05% X 2.5 = .00125 Gal or .16 Oz. of sediment per fillup. Over the course of a year, filling up every week with 2.5 gallons, that accumulates to .16 Oz X 52 = 8.32 Oz of sediment .

Here is a glass with 8.32 Oz. of rice in it. That's how much crud could potentially go through your tank every year.

sediment.jpg

So, that's the crud I was referring to. Even if you start the year with a clean tank, about 4 Oz of sediment will have passed through the tank in 6 months and a lot of that is sitting on the bottom of the tank and gets picked up when you go to reserve. Much of the sediment is small enough to pass through whatever filter you have in the tank and in line so it ends up in the bowl of the carbs, so I try to remember to drain the carb bowls every once in a while as well.

So, I try to remember to drain the tank once a year by selecting the prime position on the petcock and run the gas through a coffee filter to a gas can. And, I never use the reserve position on the pet cock.

Cars, of course, have the same problem, but they do not have a reserve function that draws gas from the bottom of the tank and the fuel pump is inside the tank positioned about 1 inch above the bottom. They also have very large fuel filters compared to a motorcycle. The fuel pump also allows cars to use a very fine filter because the pump pushes the fuel through the filter. We don't have a fuel pump, so if we use a very fine paper type filter, it soon clogs up from the sediment because the fuel pressure drops as the tank empties. The best fuel filter for motorcycles is not a filter at all, but an old fashioned sediment bowl as found on my Honda CB450 and CB750K-4 petcocks. I can remove the sediment bowl and see any collected sediment and just dump it out. The sediment bowl system does not offer any restriction to fuel flow either.

If you really want to get serious about fuel filtering, then you can get a vacuum operated fuel pump for motorcycles from JC Whitney and install a car type filter.

Sediment in the gasoline dispensed at the pump also creates a dilemma as to which gas station to go to:

1. Go to a new station because the tanks are new . OK. But there were probably a few shovelfuls of dirt thrown in the tanks during installation.
2. Go to a station with high volume of sales because the gas is always "fresh". OK. But those stations get more deliveries of gas every week. Dumping 2,000 gal of gas in the underground tanks stirs up the bottom sediment.
3. Go to a station with a low volume of sales to avoid #2. OK. But those stations might have "stale" gasoline or gasoline from the previous seasons blend.
4. Go to an older station to avoid #1. OK. But those stations may have rusty or corroded tanks and are producing there own sediment in addition to what comes in with the tankers.

So, go to a station that is 5 years old that does a moderate volume of business and avoid the days when the tanker truck comes. Use 89 Octane because there is a larger volume of that sold so the gas will be "fresher" and not likely to be from last seasons blend.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty obvious. The bike has a little straw that stick up about an inch and when the petcock is ON it take it through that straw, on RESERVE it takes it right from the bottom, thus taking any crud with it....

It's a good question, and the answer is fairly straight forward. I don't know why everyone got their panty's in a twist over WHILE giving the WRONG answer...

I definitly agree with you Pete we had many customers bring bikes into the shop saying it ran perfectly until i used the reserve position.Cleaning the sediment bowl on the older fuel taps was always part of our service at a tune up.Its a shame the manufactures chose to delete this feature

It just gives you the false hope that you can make the it to the pump 30km away. NOT!
Funny how I went 160km , fueled up then went back same way and ran out completely 100 ft from pumps and 155 km . Damn head winds...

Back