butterfly nylon washers, how many?

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
putting my bs34 carbs back together and I only have 2 nylon washers. Two go on the left carb, one on either side of the butterfly shaft by the seals, but it seems one also goes on the right carb before the C clip on the end of the shaft. put it all back together today and it seems im short 1! and mike's xs doesnt seem to sell them... hmm.

ive seen some nylon stuff at home depot but they seem to be fairly think... these are 1mm if they are even that thick!

maybe I could cut one of out something.

what do you guys think? or did I put one of the left carb where it doesnt belong?

Each carb just gets one, outside their right side butterfly seal. Left side butterfly seal is just covered by a metal washer (left carb) or plastic spacer (right carb).

Last edited:
Hmm.. Ok, that's odd, I may leave those ones where they are now and pick up another from a hardware store. It helps clean up some of the play having one on both sides of the left carb.

I would be careful about adding extra washers to the left side of either carb's butterfly shaft. It may pull the shaft more to the left and cause the butterfly to bind in the bore. Check for that after everything is fully assembled and tight.

It's fully assembled and tight right now, it's only missing 1 washer before the C clip on the very end of the right carb. Moves very well, I found it was a bit floppy when I first had it off the bike. With that extra washer it's a little cleaner feeling. It even has a little space between that c clip and the body, that's where I'd put the extra washer if I can find one. I'd says it's mainly only there to keep crap out of the seal

Thanks though. I'll prob try it both ways, see how I like it

Back