Buzzing Blinker

rmclaughlin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. This is probably an easy one, I hope. My right blinker buzzes when I turn it on. Relay?
Rob

Posted via Mobile

Did it work before and have you been into the wiring since? That's where and when any and all of my turn signal issues have begun.........
Check the powering and the ground for that side.

When you try to run the turn signals they draw a lot of power. Two 27 watt bulbs and a 3 watt indicator bulb. 2 x 27 + 3 = 57 watts. that's even more than the high beam of the headlight draws. So if your battery is weak from not getting charged up or is just bad then you turns won't flash.
If just one side acts up the wiring on that side may have a weak connection some where. Start at the flasher unit. Remove it from the socket. Make a short jumper wire that can plug into the socket at the brown wire and brown/white wire. The brown is power to the flasher, the brown/white is power out to the turn switch.
Now with the jumper in place turn on the turns signals. Do the lights light up. If not then you need to follow the power. Next pull the left side control housing off the bars.
Now check for voltage on the brown/white wire on the switch. It as well as the other wires on the switch can have come loose from the switch.
Now put the switch in either the left or right position. Test for voltage coming out one the dark green and chocolate wires on the switch. Dark green is the right side, Chocolate is the left.
While your in there you can take the switch apart and clean the contacts. A bit of dielectric grease helps them stay clean.
Once you have good power after the switch look at the wiring in the headlight bucket and under the seat. A loose connection is problematic, These can be cleaned and tightened too. Don't forget the grease.
While there check the grounds coming from the lights. Clean is good.
Does the bulb fit snug?
Is the bulb blown?
Once you get all thus done replace the flasher, fully charge the battery, Do the turn signals work now?
If not replace the flasher. You probably won't find a three prong flasher that will work. Most any two prong flasher will. Just plug it in the socket so it goes into the brown and brown/white wires are. The extra wire won't be used. The early years it was a ground, the later years it was hooked to the self canceler.
This deletes the self canceler but they didn't work well anyway. Just remember to shut the turns off manually.
Leo

Back