Cafe Build #1, 1975 XS650

The tank is from Legendary Motorcycles. They have both alloy and fiberglass tanks. This tank has the XS650 kit on it so it installs with the original rubber puck thingies.

Got some more stuff done. I painted the frame and other bits last weekend. I installed the frame onto the engine yesterday and have been adding a few parts to it here and there. Installing the engine was a snap with the engine on the engine stand. It worked great and I would recommend doing it this way to anybody. In the pictures, the whole bike is suspended on the engine stand.

I also got Hugh's fork brace installed. Here is another good pointer for installing that. Remember, these are 34mm forks. There is no way this brace will fit the forks unless .5mm is milled off the fender mounting bosses on each fork leg. I was lazy and took off 1mm off one fork leg, it worked fine. I saw a thread where a guy was squeezing the brace together to install it. My belief is that that would be a no-no. That brace needs to be a slip fit and without machining the legs, will cause major fork bind.

full

full

full

UPDATE!!!
The engine is back to life, and it sounds pissed off! Just have to finish brakes, final drive and paint the tank and tail. It's getting there!
Watch the video!

Back