calling all battery experts

HooliganCycles

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i am building a 1981 xs650 with pamco ignition and stock charging system, im curious about batteries....the standard yb14l-a2 is rated at 190cca if i remember correctly. does anyone think i would have an issue using a battery rated at 180cca? the reason i ask is this other battery is just slightly smaller than the stock one and will fit perfect in the location i wanted to use for the battery. i know kick start only it would be fine, but i am building this for my wife so the electric start will be used some of the time. thanks

Something to be aware of. You can have 250 CCA, but if the charging system doesn't produce 14.1 volts at > 3000 rpm, the partially charged battery will not have enough current capacity to run the starter motor.

Size does matter, but the battery must be fully charged.

There are physically smaller batteries that have high cca's. I have a Ballistic 8 cell battery. About half the size, weighs less than 2 lbs. Has 275 cca's. Shoria has similar batteries.
These take up less space, higher cca's and light weight. Only draw back is the cost. I paid $139 for mine.
Leo

Is it a stock type bike or bobber type? I built a small battery box to hold my new shorai battery. It is small and with 210 cca. The battery box is directly under my electronics box.

Attachments

• after4.jpg
    after4.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 75
Another thing, with a smaller battery, you want to ensure a good electrical path from the battery positive to the starter relay, from starter relay to starter, starter to engine, engine to frame, frame to battery negative.
I might suggest going up a size or two on the battery cables. I replaced the stock 10 or 8 gauge cables with 6 gauge cables. I ran the new cables from battery positive to starter relay, relay to starter. Remove the starter and clean the contact points between the starter and engine. Clean bare metal to clean bare metal. A very thin coat of grease will keep corrosion to a minimum.
On the engine to frame mounts remove at least the upper rear mounts. The kinda triangular mounts. Three bolts. Clean the contact points on the engine and mounts, mounts and frame. Again clean bare metal to clean bare metal. I do all the mounts this way to ensure a good ground path from the starter body to the frame. I also ran a 6 gauge cable from one starter mount bolt up the negative battery terminal.
Replace the negative battery cable with the heavier cable. Again clean the frame contact point so you have clean metal to metal contact. A thin coat of grease on all the connections will help prevent corrosion.
This will ensure the starter gets as much current the battery has.
Even with this done the e-start may not be 100 % reliable. On colder days or first start of the day the engine will be harder to turn, requiring more from the battery.
At times like that you can combine the kick and e-start. Get the kick lever up so your ready to kick, just as you start to kick, push the start button. This should give the extra umph needed to turn the engine.
Leo

Cool thanks for all the info guys..I went ahead and got the battery I was planning on and it fits perfect in the box i made, I also got new 6 gauge cables and terminals I'm hoping to get installed when I get back home and so far the charging system is holding its own....for now haha. Thanks again for the info

Back