Cam chain 6 bolt cover torque

Mlwahler

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a leak coming out of my newly purchased rebuilt xs650. It's leaking oil at the bottom left bolt by the new copper washer on the 6 bolt tensioner cover. I'm thinking it needs to be re torqued. Anyone know the correct torque for these six bolts... Thanks

Those are normal M6 bolts and take the standard torque value for that size, 5 to 8 ft/lbs. Being an old bike and going into aluminum, I stay about in the middle of the range, using 80 in/lbs.

But look closely, it's very common for the o-ring in the acorn cover nut to leak and need replacing. The oil would dribble down to the bottom of the housing and could appear to be coming from one of the lower bolts.

If you do determine that it is the o-ring, send me a P.M. and I'll turn you on to a few. I have a whole giant bagful and you appear to be in my area.

Thx for the quick response... My torque wrench begins at 10ft lbs. what are my options??? Order I torque wrench that reads lighter. Any suggestions

Yes, to do M6 fasteners, you really need a small inch/pound torque wrench. It's well worth getting one as you will use it a lot. I use mine more than all my other larger ones combined. Besides that cam chain adjuster housing, all the bolts holding your oil filters in are M6, and you will be accessing them often for cleaning (or you should be anyway).

Can you recommend a good one. I've found a Tekton at lowes for $45. 1/4 " drive 1.66-16.66 ft lbs. also when using an extension with torque wrench do you adjust torque at all. I just re torqued my head and had to use ext to get to bolts with the motor in The frame. I did not adjust torque at all. 30 lbs on 8 acorns 16 on the rest. I did not touch number 11 down below the carbs

Honestly, I'd wait for this one to go on a better sale at Sears .....

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-00931423000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

They go on sale all the time for half price so you could get it for $40. That Tekton looks a lot like the HF one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html

Also, I find a 3/8" drive version to be handier. You'll probably have a wider range of sockets on hand to fit it.

As far as altering the torque value for an extension goes, no, you don't if it's just a simple straight out extension. You would if you did an offset extension to the side, lengthening the distance between the handle and the socket.

Like any malt i bolt sealing surface, the bolts should be snugged up using a x pattern then tighten up fully in 1 or 2 steps.

Back