Cam chain adjustment on a 79 motor

MadRat 88

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have adjusted the cam chain on my 80 and and 81 motors, I am now doing the same on a 79 that's in my garage. I took off the acorn nut, and I thought it looked odd. A quick watch of littlebill's adjustment video and I was right. This motor does not have the nut inside of the acorn. Are there certian years that don't have the acorn and the inside nut? Or do I have a missing part?
I took the inside nut off an 80 to see if it would work, it goes on but leaves no room for the acorn, which is why I'm here with this question.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight:thumbsup:

Yes, some years don't use a lock nut. Here's a chart showing the different styles and the years they used them.
Yours is the D, I don't know if the E lock nut will fit on yours.
You can easily swap the E for the D as an assembly. Maybe just the plunger, adjuster screw and nut will swap out. Actually if your threads are clean the tension on the adjuster from the spring should hold the adjuster from turning as you install the capnut.
Leo

Attachments

• TensionerID.jpg
    TensionerID.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 141
Yes, you can swap just the "guts" from a later type E adjuster into your type D housing. I did that to my '78 to gain the lock nut back.

Back