Cam Chain Clatter?

RoccoStreetTracker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
:banghead:

I've got a 1980 tacker with Ascot Pipes, XS intakes, carbs tuned accordingly, Omar.s front/rear wheel conversion. I've had it about a year and other than some a minor short in the rear light and a clogged petcock, it's been running like a top ...until I just changed the oil last week and decided that I'd adjust the cam chain tensioner and adjust the valves.

I followed the order of operation and adjusted the CCT first and then the valves. I've done each twice, more or less and my only guess is that I've got the CCT too tight. I screwed it in pretty far (compared to what it was), but the little indicator rod (I have know idea what it's called).

I had the valves adjusted to .002 on the intake and .004 on the exhaust. Long story short, clatter, like a snare drum rim. I guess I'm going to back it out now and see how that goes.

are the valve clearances not a tad tight? According to what I've looked up yours, '79 on, need to be about .0025 and .006 too tight can make them noisy. I think it's what's commonly called valve bounce, tight setting can cause the rocker to hit the valve so hard on the push that it doesn't follow the cam profile properly when it closes, instead it snaps shut after the lobe has passed peak lift causing the clatter sound.

Last edited:
I have found that .003 intake, .006 exhaust works well.
On your can chain did you adjust it static or at an idle?
A few of us have found that adjusting at an idle works better than static. With the bike warmed up a bit, not too much, don't want burns. Adjust so the inner pin comes out to flush with the end of the adjuster but moves in/out about 2 mm. If it isn't moving in/out about this much it's too tight. Any more too loose.
Leo

if you have a compression tester you can use that to see if the exhaust valves are closing late as it'll reduce compression a bit aswell as clatter.

Thanks for all the input. Leo, I got the valves reset to the settings you suggested after I got the cam chain tensioner reset. It sounds better than ever know.

Thanks again!

Back