Cam chain is short by 7 links!?

RMS621

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in the process of assembling my engine tonight, I got all the way up to installing the cam and realize the cam chain is not long enough. It is a D.I.D 106link chain. I disassembled everything back down , reinstall the original chain what is 106 links, and it even comes up seven links too short. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The cam chain tensioner is out, the chain guide stop is installed correctly. I have been fighting it for 3 hours. I can't come up with any reason why this is happening.

Engine info:
1975 - 447
277 rephase
700cc JE pistons from Gary Hoos

What now?

IMAG1432_zpsrveemigi.jpg

I only see two possibilities if the chain length is correct. You have a serious kink in the chain down below or the chain is riding high on the lower sprocket, links not seated on the teeth. Other than that, gremlins.

aliens :thumbsup:

if you remove the sump plate you should be able to see if there is a kink in the chain or its riding on the crank sprocket teeth :wink2:

Where the chain passes up through the guide that bolts into the lower case, it has to come up behind the round spacer. Between the spacer and the lower pivot point of the adjuster shoe.
I don't have pic to post. Sorry.
Leo

I found this pic. I snagged it from boats.net. The part #11, if you look you can see the spacer just by where the line from the #11 is pointing. It's between the two sides. The chain runs up between this spacer and the pivoting shoe that guides the chain and the tensioner push against the chain.
If you run the chain in front of this spacer it will appear to be short.
Leo

Attachments

• CAMSHAFT_-_CHAIN_TENSIONER_TX650AXS650B.png
    CAMSHAFT_-_CHAIN_TENSIONER_TX650AXS650B.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 41
Ok, looks right from here. As others mentioned, drop your sump plate and look up in side You may find a kink in the chain.
There are cross members in the case just under the crank. You chain may be looped around them. You will see this from through the sump plate hole.
Leo

I'm just getting ready to pull the sump plate. Hopefully it's something easy. Thanks for the input guys.

Yep, there it is, lol. I never pull the old chain until I'm ready to install the new one. Then I hook one end of the new to the old and use the old one to pull the new one through. No chance of a routing screw-up this way.

This was a fresh build, so I couldn't do that. Now I get the joy of trying to find a way to fix this with out pulling the whole motor back apart lol.

RMS621 - you found the Gremlin. With a bit of patience, wire, and maybe a wire coathanger, you may be able to re-thread the chain.

Take picks as you go. i would start by joining the old chain to the new chain with a piece of wire. Good luck my friend. If you can't manage to re-thread then grit your teeth and take the head and cylinders off and do it the easy (easier) way.

ANLAF

14awg house wire works well. I have completely fished a camchain through after my tie to the old chain broke. I managed to fish the wire down and back up with the sump plate on. Retractable magnets make great helpers too.

Posted via Mobile

Back