cam chain removal?

If you're doing a top end job and the bike has 15 to 20K or more on it, I wouldn't recommend reusing the chain. It's probably all stretched out and in need of replacement.

Take the bearings off the cam and then there is room to get the cam gear out of the chain.

Thanks fellas. I am tearing the whole thing apart. Figured I should make it vagabond worthy.

It has just over 8000 miles on it. Didn't find metal shavings in the oil or on the plugs. Didn't find any black plastic either. In fact everything seems pretty good.

I tried the bearings off trick but couldn't pull one side off the cam while on the engine.

So I grinded the master link pins down til I could pop it off.

Now I'm wondering about reusing it with a new master/rivet. But I did nick the next pin over with the grinder.

You might have trouble finding the right master link. They changed the specs over the years and used chains from different manufactures.
I would just replace the chain.
Leo

If you've compromised the existing chain in any way shape or form I'd suggest replacing it. In the remote chance it breaks after you put it back together, due to the nick in the next pin over, you'll kick yourself...especially if severe damage is done between the pistons and valves. The potential (albeit a remote possibility) for high cost damage and disappointment is too much in my humble opinion.

Since you have it down this far you may as well give yourself the piece of mine and put a new one on. It won't hurt and isn't cost prohibitive.

It's done for you, but no matter how careful you are grinding is not the best operation to do in an open engine if there is ANY way it can be avoided.
PS I ground one apart before I learned of the bearing trick to get the cam out. The good news for me it was a fragged engine anyways and the empty cases are just for mock ups now.

Replace the front guide as well. Most are failing now due to age. The rubber strip is coming unglued from the aluminum base. Even if the rubber part still looks good the glue bond will probably start failing shortly. I've found the whole rubber strip fallen off and sitting down on the crank in some I tore apart. A still fully intact, not badly worn strip - it just fell right off, lol. Here's how I found mine. The strip wasn't badly worn or near wearing through in any spots, it was just coming unglued. I caught it just in time I think .....

FrontGuide2.jpg

Back it up with a 3 to 5 lbs hammer and peen the pins with a 16 to 20 ounce ball peen hammer.
Leo

Yup remove the bearings from both sides. Use an aluminum drift so you don't damage the cam.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response guys! I managed to crack my camshaft while pressing in bushing for the advance that was included with my pamco kit.

Ouch I think I have heard of that happening before. Some times it's just a thin flange that doesn't matter?

I managed (mangled!) mine up too. I had finished degreeing it and noticed a tiny gap at the flange so put it in the press without heating it up again and heard it crack. Rather than leave it that way I took a small thin chisel and paint scrapper and broke the whole thing off. I didn't want loose pieces in the motor and the cam was degreed properly

Attachments

• DSCN1983.JPG
    DSCN1983.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 194
Back