cam chain removal?

Can I get recommendation(s) for a cam chain breaker/riveter tool?

I'll be buying my first one and see that I can spend anywhere between $30 for a Chinese set and close to $100 for a MotionPro with a couple of sets from Mikesxs falling in between.

I see there are sets that only do cam chains and some capable of doing both cam chains and drive chains.

Thanks!

I use dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to remove master link.
I use a cold chisel to pin the new master back together.
doing the x mark which spreds the pin
Mikesxs sell a cam chain tool seems like they are about 40 bucks

They used to be about that ($38 actually). Now they're $48.50 (LOVE how the new owners "improved" things, lol). I have that one (Part #35-0112) although when I bought it several years ago, not only was it cheaper but it included all the extra press plates and arbors you now need to buy the more expensive ($60) Part #35-0111 tool to get. Not that they're needed for cam chains though, only drive chains. I also don't understand why they say the cheaper one is not for breaking drive chains, it most certainly will and comes with the appropriately sized pins to do so.

Anyway, the cheaper #35-0112 will work just fine and honestly, I think it's the same tool, just with a few less accessories now. In fact, I think these are both the same tool as the more expensive Motion Pro one. I just purchased 2 Motion Pro replacement rivet pins (and they fit) because ..... I made the mistake of loaning mine to the "hammer mechanic" kid down the street so he could rivet the master link on his sport bike drive chain. It came back with the rivet pin pretty beat up.

Also, the tool comes with no instructions but the Motion Pro ones apply. Like I said, I'm pretty sure they're the same tool.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/2557/chain_breaker_and_riveting_tool__08-0058/

I just received the mikes camchain tool couple days ago to replace one that *disappeared*.
The cast iron body is stouter than my old one, came with various pins and anvils. I haven't measured the anvil 'pocket' depth yet, but later. The unit did come with the appropriate amount of chinese metal filings in the threads, so if you get one, clean it well...

Did you get the cheaper 112 or the "deluxe" 111? My older 112 didn't appear to suffer from those Chinese machining "quirks" but isn't marked anywhere as to the country of origin. The only marking is on the storage box lid, "SJC", which I assume is the brand name. And if you did get the 112, did it include chain press plates like my older version?

OK then, it seems the 112 is still the best deal. And I'll mention again - the Motion Pro replacement pins fit and work in the Mike's 112 tool. I see Mike's only sells the one replacement pin, looks to be the smallest, the one for breaking cam chains. Honestly, if you grind the heads off the link pins first (as you should when breaking any chain), the breaker pin doesn't get much of a strain put on it. It's the rivet pin that takes the beating. That's why I bought some spares. The Motion Pro rivet heads actually look a little nicer. The rounded end is tapered a bit more to a slightly sharper point. I think it's going to work better than the original.

Just got a Motion pro PBR in the mail Saturday, flea bay 68.00 to my door. Mainly got it to do O-ring drive chains but bonus if it will do cam chains. Got the one with the silk screened labels on it, a spare tip, and the plastic case and instructions. Threads look good, I hit them with moly grease before I riveted the hollow pin master link, it worked smooth. It has magnets to hold the tips and and a spring detent to hold the anvil in place.

MOTION_PRO_PBR_CHAIN_BREAKER-10864.jpg

Oh, you got the fancy heavy duty one, lol. The only problem with riveting cam chains with any of these is the rivet pin head is rather large for the small cam chain link pins. It tends to slip off the pin to the side as you tighten it down. That's why I tap the slight "X" cut into the pin head with a small sharp chisel first. It seems to help hold the rivet pin centered.

XCut.jpg

Back