Cam Chain Stopper Guide

wacko

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I am in the process of changing my oil and found some plastic in it. After doing some reading on here it sounds like the Cam Chain guide is breaking apart.

Does replacing it require pulling the top end of the engine all apart? Anyone document the process?

How urgent is it that I replace the guide??

Thanks

To replace the front cam chain guide it reguires the engine to come out of the frame. The head needs to come off. Once you get the head off you can leave the cylinders on, just replace the guide. It is easier to get straight in the cylinders with them off the engine.
Good idea to replace the chain while your in there.
At least lap the valves while apart. Check the bores and pistons. If anything needs fixing might as well as do it while the engines are apart.
It may be ok for a few weeks to a few years. I would watch the oil and the sound of the engine. As the guide wears the plastic part shreads off, then it starts wearing into the alloy backing. When this happens you will hear an increase in noise and find alloy stuff in the oil.
Leo

hello ive just striped my engine down looking for a random engine noise.front guide was worn through to the ally at the top left and bottom right its as if the guide was not put in straight is this possible the bike is a 81 its the first time the engine as been apart
i got it 6months ago with 1.200 miles on the clock ive done 6.000 miles on it in the time ive had it any other ideas on it malc

Yes, it's possible to mount the guide crooked. The mounting bolt holes have some play in them. As mentioned, it's best to pull the jugs off so you can measure the guide side to side during install to insure it's in there straight (and centered).

Back