Cam chain tensioner bad??

mkmmkm

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some information from some more experienced XS650 owners than myself....which doesn't take a lot. But anyway, Late last summer I replaced the cam chain guide on my 80' XS650 because the rubber on it de-bonded. I was able to do it by removing the cylinder head cover only and patiently sliding the old one out and the new one in. There seemed to be no problems with it. I put it all back together, started it up, and it ran well with the exception of a "metal on metal"sound. It sounded like the chain was running against something. I didn't have time to mess with it, so I just parked it until now. I just took the engine off again and was able to borrow a scope to look around inside, by taking off the cylinder head cover and scope down along the cam chain from the top and bottom. It doesn't appear to be rubbing anywhere on the sides, the only area I see it touching anything, is where it runs along the cam chain guide and tensioner. I don't see any signs on the chain where it may have been rubbing, but I may not have run it enough to make marks. The guide looks as it did when I put it in. The tensioner looks brownish. Photos of new ones online appear black. I didn't see any more rubber remnants in the pan than I would have expected from the guide when I changed it. But I am wondering if this sound I am hearing is coming from the tensioner or could the chain be off center and slightly hitting the side when running. Here is a pic that I was able to take looking down at the tip of the tensioner to see what the experienced guys might think. I appreciate any thoughts.

IMG00054.JPG

I can see a groove iv the tensioner but that would be normal for one that had time on it.
From what I've herd in the past it's the guide that's the problem.
Installing it the way You did it could be not centered in the tunnel.

Ok thanks! I will have to get in there a little better and make sure the guide is set in there centered. Hopefully that is all that it turns out to be. I take it though that your thinking that the tensioner in there looks ok? I didn't know if the brown color was meaning that the covering had come off that too since the new ones are black. Thanks for the help!

I just replaced my guide and the new one had a U-profile. From what I can se on this picture yours is flat. I had a matal on metal sound myself before I changed the guide. My old guide looked something like the one on the picture colorwise. And with no profile on it. Only grooves fra the chain. The guide was hard as hell and starting to crack as well. I'm no expert in anyways just saying what I've observed myself.

You took a shortcut the first time you went in there and it's come back to bite you in the ass. Do it right this time and pull the cylinders off so you can actually see what you're doing.

Back