Cam Chain Tensioner

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Getting bits of rubber and metal in my oil filter, I figure my cam chain tensioner is just about done. Aside from a top end gasket kit, tensioner, and chain, is there anything else I should plan on ordering? This will be my first time in an XS head (not my first time doing a top end, though), so I figured I would ask.

THANKS!
Adam

You'll be amazed at how much of that crap gets into the lower end. Whenever I build a crank, I can tell if it came from an engine with a toasted cam guide. There is crud all in the bearings and inside the flywheel splines. Plenty will probably disagree with me, but if you wanna do it right, tear it all down and get rid of ALL that crap. It hides in the most obscure places...

I hear ya, but I have a 160 project that I really want to focus on. I can see the rebuilt bottom end, dying to be torqued back together, in my office, taunting me....

I know that "it will only take a little more time to strip down the bottom end!", but we all know how modifications, repairs, etc start to snowball out of control :) :)

I found that its the front cam chain guide that wears out, not the the tensioner. I was able to reuse the tensioner.

Have you done a compression test? If compression is low, then you would want to install new rings, lap valves, new valve stem seals etc.

Probably best to not order parts until the engine is opened up................you never know what you may find.

^^ my cam chain tensioner was fine as well, but someone let the cam chain get loose and it knocked the ridges off the front cam chain guide. i replaced both tensioner and guide - might as well while you're in there

Compression is fine. I meant the guide, arm, long thing that's rubber and aluminum. Not the actual tensioner spring.

I was hoping to order and knock it apart night 1, waiting for the order to arrive, get it back together, night 2, parts in the mail. Spring is almost here, want to be riding!

Thanks!

Back