cam chain woes

corwine123

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i just picked up an 83 650, shes only got 15,000 miles on her. runs great except some loud as tinging going on in the lower rpm's especially at idle. I adjust set the valves and it helped a little. but it is still teeth jarring to hear this sound. SO i have been reading about the cam chain tensioner and guide. when i turn the engine over the dampener rod only will go flush, i can't get it to pop out the 1-2mm it is supposed to. I have tightened it down pretty far. How many threads should i have sticking out at the tensioner? i'd say there is still about a half to 3/4 inch of threads sticking out on mine. I just dont want to over tighten it and break my cam chain.

uhhhhhhhhhhhh. I would like to say "you can't". but! when you "tighten" the 10mm nut, did you remember to loosen the (27mm?) jam nut first? 80+ (tci) had the jam nut.

it sounds like you are just turning the locknut. take the acorn nut off then loosen the nut that my screwdriver is pointing at and then you can adjust the cam chain tensioner. i got mine tightened up after about 5 minutes of playing around with it and i had never even seen anything like that before in my life. it's just that easy.

Attachments

• DSC03024.jpg
    DSC03024.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 226
Adjusting cam chain tension has a small effect on the timing of cam-driven ignitions and no effect whatever on valve clearance. However service intervals are similar, so it pays to check out all of the above at every oil change.

The rod is supposed to only come flush, with the 1-2 mm of movement back into the adjuster. I like to adjust the tension with the engine warmed up good. At an idle, adjust the tension to where the rods moves in/out about 1-2 mm's and comes flush with the end of the adjuster.

Back