Cam chains

Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anybody know why there doesn't seem to be master link for cam chains? In one video I watched, the guy said you didn't have to break the cam chain. I'm thinking that with an extra set of hands that you could probably slip the cam back in and get it in time. Anybody tried it?

There are master links but they are crimped, We remove cams all the time with out breaking the chain, pull cam chain adjustor, remove bearings and put a wire around chain so it doesn't fall in. Easy.

There are master links but they are crimped, We remove cams all the time with out breaking the chain, pull cam chain adjustor, remove bearings and put a wire around chain so it doesn't fall in. Easy.
Thats how I got the cam out but wasn't sure about going back together. Sure am going to give that a go before i split the chain......Thanks

When the top rocker is removed and the cam exposed, one could take a marker and mark the cam wheel and the chain at one or two locations before removal for ease of reassembly.....of course this will only work as long as you keep the cam chain from dropping off the lower crank gear and if the marks don't get removed.......

You don't have to break the cam chain to do anything to the engine, the cam chain shouldn't have to be replaced (unless maybe it sat for decades with an engine full of rain), and it's trivially easy to time the cam no special marks required. To do it, line up the timing marks on the crank and put the camshaft back in with the mark on the sprocket as vertical as it will get, with the chain tight in front. Very simple. An overlooked thing to be careful of is the camshaft should be centered left to right properly and then the bearings should all be as inward as possible so there's no play. When you put the top cap back on, make sure all the adjusters are very loose.

Last edited:
Your cam has two timing marks. The one xjwmx referred to is a notch on the boss where the sprocket sets. This mark points up, The other mark is a dimple on the sprocket out by the teeth. When the notch is straight up the dimple should be even with the sealing surface of the head.
A cam chain can be excessively worn and need replacement. If when the crank timing marks line up at TDC and the notch isn't exactly straight up, this indicates a worn chain. If it is more than a few degrees off from straight up the cam timing will always be a bit off.
On the points bikes the chain can be so worn you can't turn the points plate far enough to time the ignition.
This can happen in an engine that has never been wet. Let alone one that sat full of rain.
Leo

This can happen in an engine that has never been wet. Let alone one that sat full of rain.
I was speaking a bit metaphorically -- should read if the chain has been abused. The factory manual reads "Except in cases of oil starvation, the cam chain wears very little."

Back