cam guide NOT AVAILABLE anywhere?

Yes, a definate 3 cheers for Mike Lalonde, in fact a standing ovation is most certainly due. True he was not fun to deal with if you had a problem, but he sure solved a hell of a lot of issues with parts for these bikes. Mike, I take my hat off to you, cheers
I wonder if he still watches these boards?
Posted via Mobile

powersports plus and boats.net both show that they have them, but when I called they are out of stock. same thing with bike bandit.

in fact, I ordered it from powersports plus. then about 5 days later they emailed to tell me it's on backorder and they wouldn't ship anything until it came in. I told them to just drop it from the order, and ship everything else.

today they sent me an email to tell me about the $9.50 restocking fee on the non-existant cam chain guide. they also shipped fed ex (when I asked for usps) which is much more expensive.

I'm gonna chew them out today, thats just shitty customer service.

got a refund on the restock fee and shipping overcharge from powersports plus. they informed me that "we don't keep our inventory online". so in other words, they will sell you anything, even if they don't have it! dang.

powersports plus and boats.net both show that they have them, but when I called they are out of stock. same thing with bike bandit.

in fact, I ordered it from powersports plus. then about 5 days later they emailed to tell me it's on backorder and they wouldn't ship anything until it came in. I told them to just drop it from the order, and ship everything else.

today they sent me an email to tell me about the $9.50 restocking fee on the non-existant cam chain guide. they also shipped fed ex (when I asked for usps) which is much more expensive.

I'm gonna chew them out today, thats just shitty customer service.

yeah i had the same thing happen with powersports. ordered it, and then days later they sent a generic email saying it was on backorder. their customer service takes about 3 days to reply to emails and it was a right hand not knowing what the left is doing kinda thing with whether it was in stock or not. I just cancelled. no restock fee that I saw, now I might have to check.

hi guys ,,, you could try looking up the hieden web site as they sell alot of xs650 parts all new as well as 750 kits ,,, it could be worth trying regards oldbiker

You can't tell if they have them till after you make a payment, and if you fill out the customer data and don't pay you will get an invoice asking for payment.

A guy over here, (Aus), bought a whole heap of parts and payed for them then they told him some of the gear wasn't available, also included was a 277 re-phased cam and when it arrived it had 270 written on it, when he queried them on the wrong part sent they won't accept that and insist it is a 277......still a ongoing saga. They have free postage after a certain amount spent, but if they don't have the parts in stock, (don't know till after payment sent), the total cost can come down and then the free postage isn't vald

I bought starter gear #4 from Powersports Plus, I had to call it in due to some CC weirdness. Anyway, while I was on the phone with them they checked with Yamaha and it's in stock and being shipped out of Georgia, due to me on Friday.

I bought starter gear #4 from Powersports Plus, I had to call it in due to some CC weirdness. Anyway, while I was on the phone with them they checked with Yamaha and it's in stock and being shipped out of Georgia, due to me on Friday.

Your starter gear #4 is in stock and being shipped from powersports plus? Or are you talking about the cam guide is back in stock?

So, aparently everyone has the front cam chain guide on backorder.

MikesXS
650central
bikebandit
parts unlimited
boats.net

none of them have it at any price.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm off the road until I can get one. All the online places are telling me they come through Yamaha and that only yamaha knows when they'll be ready. :banghead:
xs650 direct in Canada has them in stock

Posted via Mobile

The problem is 650Direct will only ship in Canada. I emailed them the other day asking if they shipped over here, (Aus), told me to get in touch with Mikes in the US

So what we need is one of our Canadian Brothers to do a group buy for us. :D

Last edited:
I think it's funny that MikesXS and 650Direct are the same company, but can't get parts for each other.

If someone in CA would buy me one, I'd be overjoyed...and of course, pay for it too...

I think it's funny that MikesXS and 650Direct are the same company, but can't get parts for each other.

If someone in CA would buy me one, I'd be overjoyed...and of course, pay for it too...
If I can help , let me know,I hate to see you guys stranded. here is my phone #
xsfanman
Tony
Toronto,Ontario

Posted via Mobile

I think these could be made crom nylon 66 or Delrin, as mentioned above. I'd have to look at the temperature stability, but as far as wear, both are harder than woodpecker lips, but still have lubricating properties. They have shore hardness approaching, and exceeding, some aluminum alloys.

Yes, even if someone could come up with a way to reline old originals. I've got a couple old bad ones laying around with loose rubber or none at all.

Your starter gear #4 is in stock and being shipped from powersports plus? Or are you talking about the cam guide is back in stock?

Starter gear #4. Mike's has them on B/O till sometime in the fall. I replaced both my front guide and the tensioner ~2 years ago when I did my top end.

You know, about the front guide: Mercedes for years used cast nylon cam chain guides. It would be pretty expensive to build a mold to cast a relatively small number of guides, but why not CNC them from nylon and install aluminum or steel threaded inserts for the bolts? I'm in no way equipped to do this, just tossing out the idea.

Back