Cam Orientation HELP!

FathomYourFears

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm putting my '78 basket case back together and I've hit a roadblock. I've taken advice I received here and gotten a yamaha factory service manual. I'm putting the cam back in and I can't find a clear answer in the manual about which direction it should go. One side of the cam has threads on it and the other doesn't. If I were sitting on the bike with that motor installed, which side would the threads be one? Thanks in advance guys.

One more thing. There are little sleeves with a small red o-ring on them. Where exactly do these go? I've looked and am having trouble. Thanks again.

The cam shaft only has threads on one end, where the advancer threads on. The advancer goes to the right side of the engine, so the threaded end goes to the right.
If you look at the cam there is a dot out by the teeth on the sprocket, this goes to the right and level with the rocker box sealing surface.
On the other side of the sprocket where it seats against the boss there is a notch, this notch points up.
The sleeves with the red orings go up into the rocker box. They go into the outside four boltholes.
Leo

These pics may help you out.

The sleeves separate the stud bolt from the oil pressure that lubricates the rocker arm shaft.

Attachments

• Camshaft and Rocker arm  lubrication mod1.JPG
    Camshaft and Rocker arm lubrication mod1.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Camshaft mod1.JPG
    Camshaft mod1.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Camshaft mod2.JPG
    Camshaft mod2.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 97
Back