Cam seals

The seal housing/retainers come off. Then you can pry out the old seals and install new ones- on a bench. I have no pics but thats how I did it. Pried out the old seals- cleaned the surface of gunk and corrosion then using a large socket that matched the circumference of the new seal steel outer ring- and a mallet gently tapped them in.

Here's some pics to help out.

Notice that the oil seal must be placed as far inward as possible in the housing. There is just enough room for the seal to contact the camshaft surface. Clean the camshaft surface so there is nothing to interfere with the new oil seal. Its a good idea to use something like 3bond 1104 or similar around the outer edge of the seal.

Also check that the gasket and O-ring are in good condition.

Attachments

• Cam Housing R1.JPG
    Cam Housing R1.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 394
  • Camshaft Oil seal and O ring.JPG
    Camshaft Oil seal and O ring.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 387
In the photo with the wood sticks, I see some white around the edge of the seal. Is that the 3bond?
Photos are very helpful.
Now if I can just get my Pamco back.....

Nice pics. Even though the old seals are garbage please use caution and common sense removing them. I used a screwdriver and a hammer and when the seals were out they were destroyed but the bores they came from were not marred/distorted or damaged. If you do scratch the surface area that accepts the new seal lightly sand the scratch smooth with some medium sandpaper.

You guys, you guys ....... why not just have at it with big rocks and stone axes ???

I was going to answer when you 1st posted but didn't have the time. A thing called "work" got in the way. Now I know there was a list of 4 letter words your parents told you never to use. "Work" was never on that list but now that I'm older - I think it should be. Absolutely terrible thing to have to go through every day, lol.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. The easiest way to remove and install these seals is with a vice. To remove, find a socket that just fits the seal. Set the housing in a vice with the socket against the back side of the seal and a 4" x 4" square of plywood on the front of the housing. Slowly tighten the vice and press the old seal into and out of the housing. For install, you'll want a 2nd plywood square to place against the back of the new seal. Press it in from the rear, just flush (even a bit less is better with the MikesXS triple lippers) with the housing.

Do you have the pics you want to post in the my pictures spot in your computer? If so look just below the place you are writing, click the Go Advanced button. Scroll down and find the Manage attachments button.
This opens a window with browse buttons. Click on one. This take you to the My Pic In your computer. Select a pic, hit upload.
Just below the browse buttons is a list of pic formats and max sizes for each format. Resize the pics to match the max size and they load quicker.
Leo

Back