Need advice inserting primary drive seal

Squishman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It still leaks and it got worse. I took the front sprocket off and the seal was wet with fresh oil at the bottom of the seal. I pulled it out and then attempted to insert a new one, but I damaged it. I have one more (the ebay seller sent me two seal kits, if you recall) and I am afraid I will not be successful without clear direction! I smeared oil on the surfaces of the new one I tried to put in. Then I found a large socket not quite as big as the seal and attempted to tap it in . It didn't work! what do I do to get the seal in properly? I want to list the bike on ebay this weekend. Do I try to push it in manually as far as possible without tools first?

Last edited:
The seal holes in the cases are line bored and that gives then very sharp edges. You'll want to "break" that sharp edge with a small sharp knife or a Dremel tool. Then, instead of oiling the new seal O.D., smear some Yamabond on it. This will act as a lube but also help seal it in the hole.

The seal holes in the cases are line bored and that gives then very sharp edges. You'll want to "break" that sharp edge with a small sharp knife or a Dremel tool. Then, instead of oiling the new seal O.D., smear some Yamabond on it. This will act as a lube but also help seal it in the hole.
Should it go in manually (no tools), at least part way? Then tap it in?

Yes to get rid of the sharp edges
I use grease on seals tapping them in.
I have a small piece of pipe -- can it be 2 Inch that fits well
Makes the force hit on more or less half of the circumference
Tapping a little at both sides getting it in
It can be difficult pushing it in without tools .But if you have strong hands by all means use it

I successfully inserted the seal to the ridge. Now, if someone can tell me if I tap it in further. I took a photo of the original seal, but unfortunately, my camera was straight on, not at an angle, so I cannot tell from my photo.

Back