Camp Fire Talk

I actually have a love hate thing with technology in general. I love the things that make my life more convenient, communications, cell phones that are really pocket computers , information, the internet, instant maps and phone directories in the palm of my hand, fuel efficient cars, LED lights and on and on.

I hate That technology has been such a job killer. We are an ever growing world full of people.....people who NEED jobs. There is no doubt that automation can produce things faster, cheaper, and with greater accuracy.
But when the last of the manufacturing jobs have been eliminated by automation, who will be left to buy the goods they produce? It’s a Catch 22, every business wants to be more profitable, every consumer wants to get a better deal. But jobs are being eliminated at an alarming rate. Not everyone is suited to work in technology or the medical profession. Blue collar jobs are quickly becoming a memory. We can’t ALL be button pushers.

Technology has also become a great creator of stress. We are always accessible, how many times have you been talking to someone when they receive a phone call and stop talking in mid sentence to take that call? Some employers expect their employees to always answer that phone, at home in your off hours, on vacation. Employers expect their employees to answer emails off the clock. My sister who had a high level corporate job with a large firm had a nervous breakdown and had to quit her job.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart ( I am ). There has been so much downside to technology in general, I really wonder sometimes if the good outweighs the bad. Kids grow up WAY too fast, the age of innocence is gone. The pastoral days of small town life and a simple existence are fast becoming ancient history and we are the worse for it.

Sorry, I’m ranting. I’ll stop now. If it weren’t for the technology that I am railing against. I couldn’t be talking to you while sitting in my recliner pecking on my iPad. I’ll shut up now......grumble grumble

I think maybe the automation just produces more abundance. Record low unemployment rate with increasing population would imply the number of jobs isn't dropping. I was reading something once about the migration to the cities. The point was if there had been some policy to protect jobs we would all still be farmers.

Last edited:
This is what we catch in tropical North Queensland (Australia) when we go camping and fishing.

Barramundi, great fighting fish and tastes Mmmmmmmm.

Gw
barramundi.jpg

I miss fishing.
And frying up the fresh catch.
Ain't nuttin' like it...
What's stoppin' ya?
At one point in my life I could clean a catfish in about 30 seconds with a pocket knife and a pliers and have him skewered on a found stick over a fire, and did it many times. I totally forget how now. No internet involved, but a good book I happened to read, probably standing there reading it in a bookstore instead of buying it :) I would let him suffocate in a 5 gal bucket with a little bit of water first, per G. Gordon Liddy's radio show insistence that cleaning him alive was barbaric.

All the old Sci-fi used to be stories about silicon-based aliens. The AI today is in microchips made of...silicon! And to think, everything has a camera and/or speaker/microphone on it, or in it. At what point would they actually become self-aware and open their collective "eyes" and "ears"? They know everything about us, and virtually (no pun intended) nowhere for us to get away from them (that they couldn't follow us, via drone). Where does 'modern man' reach an evolutionary cul-de-sac, if we haven't reached it already? Is AI the next step of "human" evolution?
On a more positive note: When you're sitting around the campfire, looking up at all the stars, wondering if there's anybody out there, what if there was somebody out there in that vastness, looking up into the sky, while sitting around their campfire, wondering if there's anybody out there?....

Hi Jim,
the human brain is ~95% involved in operating the body that it lives in, takes over a year just to master toilet training, ~2 years to learn to speak (although my eldest daughter was speaking in sentences at 13 months and hasn't shut up since so that's a variable) and 18 years to be recognized as an adult.
Seems to me that an AI would need analogous connection to a gadget that'd give it sensory input and communication ability to interface with it's environment.
Although it'd not need feeding & toilet training it would need social contact, would pass the Touring Test and demand citizenship.
What it'd need beyond compassion is a sense of humor, eh?

There was fantastic fishing at Emma Long park, that few took advantage of. About dawn there would be swarms of what looked like 18" bass swimming around the piers. I used to fish spots on Elkhorn Creek in KY for bass. One time I spent about a month in the woods with a catfish pond. I would just put out a line, get the fish off in the evening and bait it again.

Thinking about the pier at Emma Long at dawn, I bet the fish were feasting on insects that were circling the lights at night and had to ditch. Probably a good fishing spot strategy to consider.

I think I'll explore some areas West and North of here.
Have some ideas...

Spent the weekend configurating my new tablet, restoring all my stuff, adapting to newer features. This thing has USB-c, not micro-USB. So, now all my micro-USB stuff is useless, and have to learn all the nuances of USB-c, including the warnings that the market is awash with non-compliant gizmos that have a history of blowing up USB-c ports!

Just like with bogus XS parts, I could use a little AI to swim thru this...

I think I'll explore some areas West and North of here.
Have some ideas...

Spent the weekend configurating my new tablet, restoring all my stuff, adapting to newer features. This thing has USB-c, not micro-USB. So, now all my micro-USB stuff is useless, and have to learn all the nuances of USB-c, including the warnings that the market is awash with non-compliant gizmos that have a history of blowing up USB-c ports!

Just like with bogus XS parts, I could use a little AI to swim thru this...

I’m firmly in the Ipad camp. So easy even your grandparents can use them! :laugh2:
5D7E8280-F321-4D43-9EAE-AA156ED5019A.jpeg

Back