Camshaft Bearings, Does anyone have a set in stone way to clean?

Tron

Bearded Sheep Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey all,

Yes, I have read the shop manual, and can't find a specific way to clean, and more importantly, re-lube the camshaft bearings.

I have read that using kerosene, diesel, engine cleaner, brake cleaner etc is a great way to clean them. Done,

Now how the heck do you re-lube these so they roll smooth again? I feel grease is a bit to heavy, and motor oil seems a tad thin..

Any advice?

They run in motor oil so I'd think that's the best thing to lube them with. Honestly, I never cleaned a set. I pull them and stick them in a plastic bag (marked as to which side they came out of). Since there's two bearings per side (inner and outer), I also try to keep them as such.

Yamaha service manual states " note: lubricate bearings immediately after inspection to prevent rust formation" no suggestions as to what with of course.. Does say to generously apply oil to rockers, cam lobes, valve springs and all prior to reassembly.

5twins is most likely right on this one.. That sticky 20w50 (or whatever you prefer)... Assembly lube/cam guard couldn't hurt, it's good insurance assembling any motor...especially if you plan to let it sit a while before initial startup.

I did the same bagged 'em oil filled.. But lost track of which came from where, so i just slapped em in there.. No problems I know of yet.

A couple kicks key off fuel off before startup ensures adequate oil delivery to top end where ya need it before the heat happens.

You'll never find a set in stone solution on a forum.

For years I did this:

Wash bearing in 'clean' gas, parts washer fluid or kerosene.

Gently blow dry with air. Don't let it spin up too much.

Examine for any sign of rust, pitting, flaking in the area where the balls run mainly the inner and outer grooves and the balls themselves. Hard to do because of the ball retainer but can help find issues. Rust on the outside can be cleaned off and has no effect on the bearing but can indicate problems. For cam bearings, if I found any real rust anywhere I would replace them, no question asked. Internal parts like these should never show signs of rust.

Now rotate in your hand and feel for roughness when you hold the outer and rotate the inner. Should spin free and feel smooth.

Now submerge in clean motor oil, drip dry and set aside in a clean zip bag until needed.

After installing, squirt some clean oil into the races and finish assembling your engine.

Your done.

Back