camshaft question

:agree:
With a good charged battery run it with the voltage regulator unplugged see what happens. ( the charging field can overwhelm a weak magnet causing poor spark). Has the fuse box been replaced? it is notorious for weak fuse connections causing intermittent electrical problems.

It runs the same without filters? Hmm, usually they will run real lean with that much additional air. The Mikexs filters have a lip inside and block the air port as Ralph pointed out.
Did you switch the timing light contact to the other plug? Dual output coils can be erratic, so you have to switch which wire the clips is attached.

IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0686.JPG Been sick as a dog and still not feeling great, but here's the latest. Air cleaner picture above shows the two different types that were on the bikes when I bought them. The one on the right has "XS" stamped in rubber and the chrome back cover, the other one has the lip I was told about in an earlier post but no markings as to who made it.
I installed the pamco kit and set the timing, didn' t seem to make any difference. Got a new set of plugs and now they look lean, bumped the main to 132.5 and the needle to position 4. Still lean but seems a little better. This is all done in my garage slowly increasing throttle and listening to motor wind up. Changed to 135 main and plug color looks better but still breaking up some. I compared the adjustable needle to a stock one and the adjustable one is much longer. In the third position starting from the top down, it is 4mm longer than stock. If I go down to the sixth position I am still 1 mm longer than stock. Starting to think these are the wrong needles, I thought the major problem with BS34's was a lean issue. These needles would only make it leaner in my opinion, the taper seems to be similar. I put in stock needle and it sounded better, not perfect but better. Will have to clean up a bit and replace seat and tank for a test ride to verify improvement.
I think the cam being in backwards caused my running rich issue causing me to change main jet size, after swapping the cam around I have been able to return to the 135 main jet and the plug reads fine.
Main jet 135. Stock needle from top of clip to tip 50mm
Pilot jet 42.5. Adjustable needle from top of clip. Pos 1- 56mm. Pos 4- 53mm
Air jet 135. To tip. Pos 2- 55mm. Pos 5- 52mm
Needle jet Y-0. Pos 3- 54mm Pos 6- 51mm.
Will try to test ride tomorrow depending on how I feel, any comments or advise welcome.

You can use a small washer to shim the stock needle up a smidge has always helped kill an off idle stumble on stock set ups for me.

You can use a small washer to shim the stock needle up a smidge has always helped kill an off idle stumble on stock set ups for me.
Thanks, I think I remember reading that the BS34's were too lean and that adjustable needle was leaner at it's richest setting, I wonder if they could be for a BS38? It just doesn't make sense to me that the new needle would be longer if the idea was to enable a richer mixture. I'll definitely give the washer a try if it still stumbles.
Thanks

Runs great, I can't believe its finally running right. I'm back to stock ignition and carb setup. The only things that are different now are the cam being installed correctly and I replaced the adjustable needle with a stock needle.
Thanks for all the suggestions along the way..

Back