Camshaft recommendations, anyone?

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all!
It has been a while since my last post, as my XS project has stopped for a while. But now I'm back at it again.

What I am looking for, is camshaft recommendations for my engine build.

I already have the 750 kit cylinder+pistons from Heiden tuning (Wossner pistons),
a 277 degree rephased crank with #533 length racing rods and big end bearings, also from Heiden. My carbs are 34 mm Mikuni RS flatslides from Topham, with BIG K&N filters.
My exhaust is 1 1/2" single wall headers and 1 1/2" Norton Commando Peashooters with modified baffles (ID is 35 mm all the way from exhaust flange to muffler exit) I will make some kind of exhaust port inserts, like "TPO" from MMM or Heiden.

I have looked at Megacycles 250-00 and 250-20 grinds, and also Webcam grinds.
The Megacycle 250-20 requires 12/1000" and 10/1000" valve clearances, I assume this will create some valve noise.....

Please come forward with your cam recommendations, also recommended vendors!

I am looking for the best torque between 3000 and 6000 rpm, for paved road use, and the occasional dirt road trip.

If I were you I'd look for something with closer lobe centers than either of the Megacycle cams for the performance range and riding you specify. Send a PM to mrriggs; if there are any left, he has what you need--Shell #1 grind in 277 rephase.

Back