can a 72 run without a condenser?

xschop

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is exactly what the title says...u read everywhere and see pics about a condenser yet on my 72 xs I see nothing that looks even close to that or anywhere near my coils...so I'm just confused if the po eliminated them or what's going on....any help I'm so lost and I honestly don't even know what a condenser does:shrug:

The stock condenser location on these bikes is pretty well hidden and easy to overlook if you don't look closely. They are tucked behind the left top motor mount, difficult to see unless you look close. You can just barely see them here, peeking out below the red plug wire .....

CondenserHook-up.jpg

I still don't see it I'm sorry...and atm I'm buying a wiring kit for daddygcycles from here and I literally have my bike completely apart and still don't see any condensers? I'll check in the morning but what I find on the web well I can't find it on my bike...CN my bike ru. Without condensers? Or if it can't then I for sure have em and just can't see em?

I think I have some so let me know if you don't and I will throw two in the box.
Here is a perfect diagram for you too so you know how they are hooked up.

Attachments

• 650 wires.jpg
    650 wires.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,221
The condensers are located on the top of the head, in the middle. The motor mounts for the top of the engine bolt to the head and to the top tube of the frame. The condensers are on the inside of the motor mounts, in the space between the top motor mounts.

Cars with points usually hide them inside the distributor cap right by the points. Condensers rarely need to gat changed so hiding them in an available spare space on the XS isn't that big of a deal.

The condensers store up power from the electrical system in between sparks and, when the points open up, that stored electricity sparks, and the stored energy in the coils goes to the spark plugs.

Thanks everybody for the help...I did find it sandwiched between the top motor mount feel like a complete dumb ass haha....daddygcycles will I get New wires for this too?

So Benedict
So from what I understand it's almost like a tiny capacitor? It receives and distributes power to the coil and receives it also?
So if mine is still operable should I just continue to run it or should I replace it? If so from where ? And how do you know when you have a failing condenser?
Sorry for the questions I'm just trying to learn more about my bike and my clymer manual doesn't go to much into this thanks

The condensers are like a "filter" for the power running to the points. Without them, the points will spark and arch, burning up quickly. This "filtering" also stops the points from pitting excessively and wearing out too quickly. Check the points faces for pits. If they're badly pitted, you could probably use new condensers. Watch the points sets as the bike idles and look for large sparks jumping out of them as they operate. This shouldn't happen and is also a sign that the condensers are going (or gone) bad. An occasional little spark is OK and kinda normal. You just don't want to see large sparks jumping out at you continuously.

The condenser unit is actually a pair of 0.22mf capacitors, one for each point. Their primary purpose is to offload current rush from the points, so the points won't arc, and last longer. They're sort of the electrical equivalent to the plumber's "Water Hammer Arrestor".

When a flow of electricity or water is abruptly stopped, there's a momentary pulse that slams into the valve (or points), that can cause 'water hammer', or points arcing.

water-hammer-valve.jpg

With a water hammer arrestor (or points condenser), that momentary pressure pulse is redirected into and absorbed by the arrestor (condenser), saving the valve (or points).

wh_arrester2.jpg

What is not commonly known, is that, in the points/condenser/coil kettering ignition system, when the point opens, current flows into the condenser, stops, then reverses. The condenser acts like a electron spring, and sends a short rush of current backwards thru the coil. This little current flows back/forth thru the coil a few times until it's dissipated. This is because the inductive coil and condenser form an LC tank (Inductor/Capacitor) that has an inherent natural frequency. The result is that you can get multiple sparks, a little known benefit.

If your engine runs poorly, and the point(s) display a visible arc while running, that's a good sign that a condenser has failed...

Oh okay I got it thanks for the condenser 101 class I appreciate it very much
This has helped me more in understanding the functions of my bike and all of it's elements :)
And thanks for the dumbed down version for me haha the visual effect helps :)

All I have to say is wow...now that's what I'm talking about...it looks so simple yet when I stare at my bike I'm lost haha thanks twomany

- - - Sorry for the questions I'm just trying to learn more about my bike and my clymer manual doesn't go to much into this thanks

Hi XS chop,
Yeah, it don't help when the Clymer's wiring diagrams only refer to them in passing as
"points with capacitors" and while some of the diagrams actually show them as black rectangles with one wire going in and two coming out, others don't show them at all.
A drawing of what they look like and where they are located would be too much to hope for, eh?

Condenser is the "old school" name for capacitors. Capacitors both store up energy and filter it. You will hear on the board lots of guys who have replaced their batteries with a big capacitor. The alternator will charge up the capacitor and, when the points/electronics and coils want it, it lets it out.

Capacitors are also used to filter out ripples in current to make it flow smoother. If you have ever had a really old tube radio and, when you turn it one, you either get nothing but a loud hum or some talking/music covered with a hum, it means that one or more of the capacitors (condensers) has gone bad and needs to be replaced. People who collect or just like the old tube radios frequently replace the capacitors as the first thing they do when they get an old radio.

It's this filtering effect condensers are used for in ignition systems. Some say they never go bad and it is a waste to replace them every time the points are changed and others say that replacing them every time is good insurance that the ignition has a good condenser. They are not very expensive to replace so it might be good to replace them with the points. If you change to an electronic ignition (like one of the Pamcos), you won't have to worry about points and condensers at all.

The Clymer book as well as many others, assume the reader has some mechanical knowledge. So they tend to leave out some of what they consider common knowledge.
Being as points are seldom used now days they should explain them better.
Then again there is Goggle.
Leo

Back