Can a starter wire be changed

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I just put in a different motor. The PO cut off the starter wire. My old starter is locked up solid. Can I change the wire..

BTW. Before you guy's go saying just man up and kick it,,,I got a bad leg. :shrug:

Its pretty straight forward to exchange the wire from your old motor to the new, unless I'm not understanding your question.

Well,,on the old starter it looks like it has a rubber grommet going into the starter housing. There's no stud sticking up like a car starter. On the new starter, it looks like it's just been cut off flush with the housing.

I just looked on ebay,,,and hell,,,there's starter wire's on there. I'm going to go take a better look. I've got to quite working on this stuff so late, and drink maybe one less beer. :doh:

Here's a pic of the 72 starter that's locked up. Can that wire be removed.

I can't see good enough with my old ass eye's to see if this is a stud on the 75 starter. I guess I'm going to have to remove the starter just to see it better. :poke: It doesn't look like it according to the part's fiche.

Attachments

• xs 172.jpg
    xs 172.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 61
  • xs 176.jpg
    xs 176.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 58
  • ELECTRIC_MOTOR_XS2.png
    ELECTRIC_MOTOR_XS2.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 58
Here's a pic of the starter on my 78SE. The stud certainly appears different than your pics.

It would be easy to get another starter motor, as plenty of guys have removed the starter motors to go the "kick only" route.

Attachments

• IMG_5697 mod1.JPG
    IMG_5697 mod1.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 50
Hey like me! Came off a bike with 8k miles perfect! $30 shipped:D

Attachments

• DSC00966.jpg
    DSC00966.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 54
Looking at the pics, I'm assuming the '75 is on the left and the '72 is on the right? If so, I think once you remove the nut on the '75 and the wire on the '72 it should be an easy swap. But I've been wrong before, especially when it comes to easy.

Back