Can anyone post a pic?

William

Cant Get Enough
Reaction score
Please Help Again! Can anyone post a pic of the whole "washer" shim job on their tc bros hardtail. Im so close! Just not certain on the spacing for alignment.. Thanks ahead of time. Hope to post pics (and RIDE) soon. Or anyone know where A pic might be?

Last edited:
I don't have pics, but I just used standard 3/4" washers. 2 on each side, on the inside of the stock chain adjusters. Be aware, most of the time the frame pinches in some when it gets welded. You may have to open it up a bit.

I hope your TC weld on was built better than the one i received about a year ago.

Mine was about 1.5" too wide at the axle plates, 1.25" too short in the lower tube, the top tubes were spaced .25" from the backbone each side and sat up too high to mate to the factory plate on the backbone. The welds looked good, but messy.

In short the whole thing was a hot mess. I ended up just not using the thing. I understand needing to leave a little leeway in the tail they make to have it be "universal" for XS's, but for a "jig built" tail it was just off by too much in too many places.

I'll take some pics tonight if someones doesn't beat me to it but just as Tech said use two 3/4" washers on the inside of of each axle adjuster. So you'll need a total of 4 washers. Brase, weld, JB weld, glue them on. It's easier to assemble but not required.

I hope your TC weld on was built better than the one i received about a year ago.

Mine was about 1.5" too wide at the axle plates, 1.25" too short in the lower tube, the top tubes were spaced .25" from the backbone each side and sat up too high to mate to the factory plate on the backbone. The welds looked good, but messy.

In short the whole thing was a hot mess. I ended up just not using the thing. I understand needing to leave a little leeway in the tail they make to have it be "universal" for XS's, but for a "jig built" tail it was just off by too much in too many places.

wtf man please tell me you returned that shit and got your money back!

First bad thing I have ever heard about there hardtails. Mine came from them and was perfect. Are you sure YOU didn't twist it welding in on?

Yeah, I've not seen anyone with issues anywhere close to mine. I know I didnt bend it up welding it on as it never made it past very small tack welds. The frame was cut with the motor in, and tail tacked on with it in. Wanted to test fit everything before final welding.

I have insanely bad luck. First company never even shipped me one after payment. Should have read up before buying from Black Widdow :doh:

And no, I didnt send it back or anything. I chalk it up to a lesson learned: Either build it yourself, or have the shop who makes it, put it on. I think I still have it somewhere, but I'm not sure, I've moved 3 times since then and still have things at 2 of those chix houses. :shrug:

I guess that is possible, no idea what that'd look like. I am not worried about it. I'd be kicking myself now if I had used it after seeing the extended backbone tail from metalheadcycles. Anyway...
[/hyjack] :thumbsup:

Mine was also fine. I knew going in that washers were required to line up rear axle per instuctions sent from tc bros! I have two on the chain side and none on drum side. lOOKS LIKE IT NEEDS TO MOVE TOWARDS THE DRUM SIDE A LITTLE MORE.
Just dont want to take any chances being my first build! Travis has already convinced me that i DO need a front brake and had to order a new fork cause i had already shaved them! No front brake and a drum rear = crash at some point! But i always say "not if but when"!:bike:

I'll take some pics tonight if someones doesn't beat me to it but just as Tech said use two 3/4" washers on the inside of of each axle adjuster. So you'll need a total of 4 washers. Brase, weld, JB weld, glue them on. It's easier to assemble but not required.

Hmmm... I used 2 3/4"washers total. One on each side. Im pretty sure the spacing is supposed to be 8.5" between the axle plates.

My wheel went right in like butter w/ the 2 washers.. However, after I welded everything up solid & welded in a battery tray on the bottom, it definately got tighter.

I had to hammer a screwdriver in there to hold it open some while I tapped the 2nd washer in place & slid the axle bolt in..

On my bike, I put washer on the INSIDE of the axle plates. This spaces the chain tensioners a little closer to the center so the tensioner bolt lines up center w/ the end of the axle plate in the little divot.

Im gonna head down my shop in a few mins.. I'll try to take a quick pic.

You have no idea how much that will ease my mind... Might get some sleep tonight! Waiting to get the alighnment correct so i can weld on the chain tensioner and a little here and there and presto... TEST DRIVE!

Hmmm... I used 2 3/4"washers total. One on each side. Im pretty sure the spacing is supposed to be 8.5" between the axle plates.

My wheel went right in like butter w/ the 2 washers.. However, after I welded everything up solid & welded in a battery tray on the bottom, it definately got tighter.

I had to hammer a screwdriver in there to hold it open some while I tapped the 2nd washer in place & slid the axle bolt in..

On my bike, I put washer on the INSIDE of the axle plates. This spaces the chain tensioners a little closer to the center so the tensioner bolt lines up center w/ the end of the axle plate in the little divot.

Im gonna head down my shop in a few mins.. I'll try to take a quick pic.
That would be the same. The washers on the outsides just keep the chain adjuster from getting squished.

Hope these pics work... There is only one on the outside of axle plate on the drum side and one on the outside of chain side, with one one the inside of axle plate on both sides of chain adjuster on chain side!!! Whew.. say that ten times fast!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 227
  • phot.JPG
    phot.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
That would be the same. The washers on the outsides just keep the chain adjuster from getting squished.

Gotcha !!

Snapped a few pics.

SprocketSide.jpg

Drumside.jpg

Looking at the pics, I may consider putting another washer on the outside of the axle plate under the chain tensioners to better center that tensioner bolt on the plate.

With the 2 washers inside the axle, its VERY snug.

GOOD LUCK !!

Hope these pics work... There is only one on the outside of axle plate on the drum side and one ont the outside of chain side, with one one the inside of axle on both sides of chain adjuster on chain side!!! Whew.. say that ten times fast!

Looking closer at your pics.. The 2nd pic, You have the chain tensioner on backwards. The thicker side of the tensioner goes on the OUTSIDE of the axle plate, this will free up some room for you to allow another washer inside.

The other tensioner can't be put on backwards because the one hole in it is only large enough for the threads of the axle bolt to pass through, not the bolt shaft.

Ok... So i tore down the rear end today and you guessed it... Axle plates are 8.25 apart.. Answers alot of my questions. 1/4 inch off is why i couldnt get the washers in the brake side. Oh well, going to try to get this corrected and everything will hopefully line up this go round. Trials And Tribulations!

Back